A pre-made kit that finally meets muster

Guest sewing_guy

Guest sewing_guy

In 10 years of doing upholstery, I don't think I've ever put in a pre-made, repop interior set that I've liked. Usually the seat covers are from Legendary, and it's a crap shoot if the seams will handle the stretching. Door cards just don't want to fit or the holes are in the wrong spot. I've had molded carpet kits so shallow it's almost like flat stock. But this one I just put in a 1966 Chevelle Malibu worked out pretty good. It was a nice break from just finishing up the Forsche 32 full build last week and before I dive into the 41 Plymouth truck custom interior first thing in the morning.

The owner of this car purchased his pieces through Original Parts Group. This included headliner, carpet, seat foams and covers, and new Door and sail panels. The soft pieces were sewn by Distinctive Designs, not a company I've heard of but the work was good quality.

This car is a legacy vehicle. The owner's father purchased it new and drove it daily. Then it was passed down to his son who has had it for years. The "repaint" job is almost 25 years old, but still wearing well. The interior was disassembled and the owner decided which pieces he wanted to keep original. Pieces like the armrests, visors, console, kick panels and seat belts are the pieces that came with the car. While he wanted the interior redone, the goal was to keep it as original as possible and also make it look like a solid old car rather than a fresh, out of the box, redo.

Mice had invaded the headliner area and all seats. The smell was a bit overwhelming until all the nesting was found, pulled and the areas sprayed with ordor neutralizer. It left the shop smelling 100 % better, but might still benefit from a little can of air freshener.

Click on the picture to open a slideshow for the Chevelle. AND, become a fan of PRO Stitch Auto Interiors on Facebook and see all 25+ photos of before, during and after. We also have another 26 albums up of projects done in the shop. Toss in your ideas on discussion topics, or add to the wall. See ya there.

th_SDC11860.jpg

Guest sewing_guy

YES!!!! I have just the guy for you when it comes to BMW specific. I'm friends with this guy on another posting forum and we've talked on the phone about upholstery issues. He's in Georgia, in the south atlanta area.

http://www.creativeoptions.info/

is his website. His niche is BMW interiors. It's what I'd call semi-custom. He makes them to order. Can do stock replacement, or spruce it up with suede inserts or anything else.

creativeopt@mindspring.com

is his e-mail. He is continually adding to his pattern storehouse and offering more and more years and makes of BMW. Also very knowledgeable about what went in the cars and the styles of the interiors to help in restoration. I've got a couple customers that have been talking about redoing their interiors (lot of talk, no money in my hand yet). When they do, I"m probably going to go this route.

Good luck. Hope he can help you.

Russell

YES!!!! I have just the guy for you when it comes to BMW specific. I'm friends with this guy on another posting forum and we've talked on the phone about upholstery issues. He's in Georgia, in the south atlanta area.

http://www.creativeoptions.info/

is his website. His niche is BMW interiors. It's what I'd call semi-custom. He makes them to order. Can do stock replacement, or spruce it up with suede inserts or anything else.

creativeopt@mindspring.com

is his e-mail. He is continually adding to his pattern storehouse and offering more and more years and makes of BMW. Also very knowledgeable about what went in the cars and the styles of the interiors to help in restoration. I've got a couple customers that have been talking about redoing their interiors (lot of talk, no money in my hand yet). When they do, I"m probably going to go this route.

Good luck. Hope he can help you.

Russell

Thanks for the info. I have alot of BMW clients and I need to look this guy up.

Archived