Tint scratch and the felt

Guest asmythe1

Guest asmythe1

Hi,

Well, got my '04 TL tinted about a week ago. Just over the weekend, I rolled down the window and got a scractched. I've learned that on high end newer cars, there is plastic inner wiper that can cause the film to scratch. I mentioned this to my tint guy prior to rolling my windows down. He insisted that I don't need to have felt installed in my car.

I called Acura dealer to get some help, but the rep. told me there is nothing they can do about it. After I told him about installing felt, he replied even then they can't guarentee it won't scratch again. Plus, they would charge me $175 per panel. That comes out to over $700.

I need some help. Does anyone know any reputable place where I can get the felt installed for a reasonable price in Orange County/South Bay (Los Angeles County) area? I just think $700 too much to pay for. Also, I would like to take it a place where they experience with this car (04 Acura TL). I don't want to be a guine pig.

I know this is much to ask for and thanks for your help.

Guest thetintshop

it's a fault with the car. make acura fix it. dodge has been owning up to their mistake, maybe if enough people complain, acura, and everyone else, will start fixing their problem too.

take it back to acura and throw a focking fit.

Guest Litespeeds

The cars that are coming off the production line are not meant to be tinted so the manufacturers do not even consider the possiblity of aftermarket window tinting. I think the reason why they put the rubber door trims is for better insulation for sound. Because that particular trim has a dual wiper design, it would be hard to put a felt strip on there. Maybe if you use a wide enough piece, you can cover both at the same time. :rollin

The cost for a felt strip should not cost you any more than $20 per door depending upon the shop. We would need to remove the door panel and install the strip. $700 is a rip off. Even with a felt strip, there is no guarantee that your window tint will not scratch in the future. All you need is to accidentally get a grain of sand between the glass and felt and you will see the scratch appear when you roll down the window. Wish I could be of more help.

Guest asmythe1
The cost for a felt strip should not cost you any more than $20 per door depending upon the shop.  We would need to remove the door panel and install the strip.  $700 is a rip off.  Even with a felt strip, there is no guarantee that your window tint will not scratch in the future.  All you need is to accidentally get a grain of sand between the glass and felt and you will see the scratch appear when you roll down the window.  Wish I could be of more help.

Thanks Litespeed, your advice has been always helpful.

I know you've done some work for Acura's. I understand there are no guarantees even with a felt installed, but wouldn't it minimize the chance of scratching? When you worked on the new TL's did you install felts? About how much is fair price for this? TIA.

thank you for not blaming your tinter :lol6

Yeah really. I'm with the above, take it back to acura and say something about it. You'll probably get that "Your stoned look" from whoever you would speak to, but screw it you never know. :booga

Guest S and S
it's a fault with the car. make acura fix it. dodge has been owning up to their mistake, maybe if enough people complain, acura, and everyone else, will start fixing their problem too.

take it back to acura and throw a focking fit.

:passout:rollin:thumb

Archived