Window Film Distributor Choice?

Guest Stellar1024

Guest Stellar1024

Hello, and my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm not new to the window tinting industry at all. However, I've been working primarily out of dealerships for the last 5-6 years using digi-tint and trying to keep a clear conscience while applying it. Lol. Anyways, I owned a window tinting shop back in 2003-2005 and we used all Madico, except for Platinum Plus from Llumar.

Since then Ceramic films have become more popular and I've heard about films like Wincos that block an extreme amount of heat and look to be a nice product... I'm going to be running a window tint operation again and need to decide which distributor I'd like to primarily buy from. I'm mostly considering Madico (Enpro) or Llumar (CP films). I'm not extremely educated on the newest advancements or the best window films to date. Any additional information as to which film is having the best results these days and the nicest appearance would be appreciated. Also if these films that block insane amount of heat (90%+) are really that efficient when applied to the vehicle, or if it's one of those things that sounds better than it really is.

Thanks a lot

-Cory

Guest Stellar1024
where are you located? or where is your shop going to be located?

What is your comp selling?

It's Garland (DFW, Tx area). Just about everything is sold there. There is a Madico dealer very close who has partial exclusiveness, but he and I could likely work something out. I've talked to Llumar and Madico reps and Llumar seems to be a bit more affordable overall, including plotters and everything else. I guess I'm mostly curious about what those in the industry feel is actually the best product and if the hype is legitimate about extremely high heat rejection films.

Guest Stellar1024
if you think lulu is the best from a price standpoint then go for it . they are still the best film mannu .... :gasp

That's what I needed to know. Thank you very much =]

if you think lulu is the best from a price standpoint then go for it . they are still the best film mannu .... :twocents

That's what I needed to know. Thank you very much =]

Hey Stellar welcome to the board :beer Might give Phillip a call in Houston Solar Control Film Inc 877 989 3456. He owns the Global warehouse in Texas. I think your film would get their overnight :dunno I have worked with him several times over the years and never regretted it.

Cheers

Stan

Guest tintjam65
I've heard about films like Wincos that block an extreme amount of heat and look to be a nice product...

Also if these films that block insane amount of heat (90%+) are really that efficient when applied to the vehicle, or if it's one of those things that sounds better than it really is.

Thanks a lot

-Cory

Welcome.

If it sounds too good to be true (you finish the quote).

What some tout as a film really effective at blocking heat are actually referring to one that takes out as much of the light as possible, which makes up a little more than 49% of the solar energy from the sun, blocks infrared radiation, which (many mistakenly believe or market as the only source of heat coming from the sun) makes up another 49%, and ultraviolet, responsible for just under 2%. All three combined deliver heat to any surface from this 'total' solar energy striking and being absorbed.

Films have to be extremely effective in screening infrared between 780 - 1350 nanometers, 280-780 (UV and light) as well as out to 2500 nanometers to achieve 90% and that one film has not been discovered yet. The 780-1350 NM range has the most intense infrared energy. Some films might be good screening at the 1100 nm wavelength but not so good at 1300 or even 950, where one of the least intense wavelengths in the infrared can be found. Visible light and ultraviolet also convert to heat through absorption once they strike an object, but it is the skin that senses infrared first and foremost, as it too is absorbed.

Any marketing that states 90% or more heat rejection or IR rejection is simply misleading. Compare films effectiveness by its total solar energy rejected number (TSER) or solar heat gain coefficient, which is the reciprocal of TSER. The best heat rejecting film comes in at 84% and is a very dark, total mirror film.

Buyer beware isn't just some old sage to be taken lightly in this century.

Dear Tintjam,

IMHO, your post (directly above) is phenomenal. Few if any retail consumers (and many industry professionals) still do not fully understand these concepts. I am glad that you do and articulated it so well on this board where so many turn to for advice and guidance.

Your position is in full accord with the IWFA and the NFRC inasmuch as they focus on SHGC as the definitive measurement of comprehensive solar performance.

Bravo Tintjam !!! Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Howard

Guest Pacific Islander

I too agree with Howard...tintjam65 hit it directly. He basically said the same thing to "Peachy" on another post. Hoepfully Tintdude will create some sort of "wall" with his statement. Architects and Engineers would definitely apreciate his assesment on window film in what it can AND can't do.

BUT...this post is about and for Cory.

Hafa adai (Hello) Cory,

From your request above...what you need is a company you can trust to take care of your film requirements. After 20 years in business and more in the industry, I learned this to be true: Absolutely NO film will last forever, it is the PEOPLE behind their product that make the difference.

I would strongly suggest talking to Howard. His company but moreso his staff has truly sent the meaning of customer service to a whole new level. I've known Howard personally and professionaly for many years. I don't buy all of his film but...I know if ever I need help with practically ANYTHING, not only he will be there but his staff as well. His company I look up too and do my very best to duplicate.

Please know Cory, Howard doesn't pay me (I wish he did) for any "good" words I speak, I promote Howard and his people simply due to their genuine attitude to help everyone regardless if they are a customer or not.

In this industry and many others, I don't know of other compnay that can compare. They will tell you the TRUTH about film...period.

Good luck in your venture.

Best regards,

Pacific Islander

Archived