How much does it cost to operate a shop ?

Looking for people's opinions on what it takes to run a well managed, organized shop doing commercial and residential window film. My big reason for asking this question is with the downturn in the economy, it seems many shops are going lower on the cost of installs. I want to know what peoples opinions are. Lets say for example, a shop with general liability insurance, worker's comp on 2 employees, all equipment, cell phone and landlline, small office , one van, and all disposables ( trash bags, blades, towels etc ). I am also interested to know what people feel is the price needed per sq ft to stay in business, on a good, better , best kind of pay scale. I am looking forward to a lot of feedback. Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Retnitorp

Sounds like you just want to Do FG. :lol

FG has been experiencing the same with SQft price.and Bidding against others offering the same Film.more things to come.and Not to our advantage. :lol

Not really a one size fits all answer to this.

Depends on what part of the country, cost per Sf to rent or lease, utility rates, etc.

if you are doing only fg, you may not want or need to rent a space. Something that we put a lot of value in is keeping monthly fixed costs low!

Depends on what part of the country, cost per Sf to rent or lease, utility rates, etc.

I'm more looking for people's insight into cost. It seems in my area anyone thinks they can buy a roll of film and a olfa knife and tint windows. And most shops are bidding lower to compete with this. I am really interested to hear peoples feedback about "real" cost. Not the tried and true lines of sales reps that we can make 600% profit on window film because lets say cost is $1 and we charge $6. It seems to me a lot more goes into it than that.

if you are doing only fg, you may not want or need to rent a space. Something that we put a lot of value in is keeping monthly fixed costs low!

I agree. Actually, I do some sub-contracting work for a vista dealer. He was a national sales manager for a big company in California ( I won't say which manufacturer , it starts with solar ..LOL ) . He runs his business out of his home. When customers ask about why he does not have a office, he just tells them he worked for this company from home, and it is a billion dollar company from his home. But in the same since, I have a shop , and I think there are advantages to this as well. People can walk in and see what you have to offer, and feel more secure knowing you have a business that they can turn to if they have problems. Thank you for the feedback.

Guest Pacific Islander

Hafa adai Jayzi81,

Check out the other forum..."owners" and you'll get great info, including marketing, bookkeeping, accounting, legal, etc...

I'll give you some of my realities, we spend approximately 40K in expenses per month (rent, utilities, payroll, etc.)

we profit a couple hundred bucks, HEHEHE! But we have fun spending...

tint123 got is right...way to many variables. You must do your research. But here's a tip I learned a long time ago, go into a shop that you beleive is professional in your opinion and improve on it. Some people like dirty floors, some people like clean floors, some people like the color blue, some people like the color green.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. But you can design the wheel to your taste and flavor. Good luck!

Pacific Islander

first find out what it will cost u to advertise.

after that computing everything else is easy.

by not having a shop the only money you will save is:

rent

water

gas

electricity

phone service

internet

alarm system

that really isnt that much but people in flatglass mostly start out this way. out of house or out of a storage unit with a p.o. box address

a nice location with exposure will save you a lot of money in advertising though, but you will have to employ somebody to be there during open office hours.

Guest PaulPiat

Keep your over head cost down as low as possible. Who cares if u don't have an office, when doing FG u go 2the costumers home, they don't come 2 U. Now if you were doing auto, yes a nice shop is the only way 2 go. I've been in business and tinting since 1982. It's been a great business. :beer

Keep your over head cost down as low as possible. Who cares if u don't have an office, when doing FG u go 2the costumers home, they don't come 2 U. Now if you were doing auto, yes a nice shop is the only way 2 go. I've been in business and tinting since 1982. It's been a great business. :beer

:bingo

No need for an office unless you are doing serious biz and need the space for storage, personnel, and a place to park company vehicles. The thought of an office sounds great, but many times not needed.

If you are dead set on it, find a place where you can rent just an office. We have a mini office/warehouse in a storage center. Small office and small warehouse for auto. Its $800/month plus phone and internet. Electricity is included.

Archived