thinking about doing remote starters

With all of the databus systems in the newer vehicles make sure you go with a company that has VERY, VERY strong tech support... especially if you have never done security systems before....

and be prepared to drop some coin on proper equipment like a quality O-scope.. This is not the land of the test light or digital multi-meter any more....

Good Luck! :gasp

With all of the databus systems in the newer vehicles make sure you go with a company that has VERY, VERY strong tech support... especially if you have never done security systems before....

and be prepared to drop some coin on proper equipment like a quality O-scope.. This is not the land of the test light or digital multi-meter any more....

Good Luck! :beer

Agree on tech support. I've gotten by so far on a logic probe but I think they say not to use them because you can still set off airbags. :dunno I say if you're probing airbag wires, you deserve to set them off. :lol

WAE-76200.jpg

Guest fredstinting

if your want to install remot starts go find you a proper school that will tech you like installer institute or snake pit which is the school started by the manufacture of viper alarms . you can call metra that sells instructional videos. they used there school installer institute here in florida to make the video's there like 50.00 each and one video is about alarms and remote start. installing remote start in the older cars not hard.but with todays cars need alot of bypass modules to interface the data bus network .

tools i use are hand held ocscilloscope. and i use a computer safe testlight

the test light is different from what you buy from auto zone or napa this connect 12 volts to the light and the with a led and a beep . the led lights up red for power and green for negative with this you able to find out if some circuits or negative trigger like some dome lights circuits or door pins you know when you need to build relays . if you really want to install them them get some schooling on them and then get mecp and keep up the learning process .

i have been mecp advanced sinced 1992 and ever 2 years you have to retest to keep up your certification

mecp http://mecp.com/home.asp this will make your customer feel safe nowing your able to work on the car without fing it up

I was having a discussion with some techs at a dealer account. Their price for remote start is crazy. What do you guys get for installing( I know this will vary) but just wondering an average or normal starting point. And approx. time for installing? and what is the headache factor?

General information is fine, just trying to get an idea.

Guest AutoEnhancers

I have been doing remote starts for nearly a decade and have found a few things.

1 no one will agree on what is the best products.

2 the remote start is not usually the weak link in it not working. It is usually the installation.

3 the bypass you choose to install make as big of a difference as the remote start system.

4 find a remote start company that will work with you and has tech support and wiring help.

Been doing these for several years now. Every brand has its quirks and every year some production runs are better than others. Never needed an o scope here. Just my trusty Fluke. Blend multiple suppliers and carry Fortin and ADS bypasses. The bypass module does the work. I stay away from cars that shouldn't be messed with (bmw, mercedes, range rover) and go for the hyundai dealers. Thats were you can scoop up $200/hour labor(once you get real good).

Archived