Concerns about Carbon and HP

After reading through the archives and finding a few post from a little over a year ago about people having problems with Carbon fading, I'm having some second thoughts about using it.

I've used HP on a lot of cars and haven't seen any problems yet. I had a Durango lease that had HP on the doors for 3 years with no noticeable fading. So is anyone seeing any comebacks from fading or color change with the HP or Carbon lines these days?

I'm thinking about staying strictly with lulu.. the price is a killer but in the long run it may end up more cost effective if I don't have to do a bunch of warranty jobs.

After reading through the archives and finding a few post from a little over a year ago about people having problems with Carbon fading, I'm having some second thoughts about using it.

I've used HP on a lot of cars and haven't seen any problems yet. I had a Durango lease that had HP on the doors for 3 years with no noticeable fading. So is anyone seeing any comebacks from fading or color change with the HP or Carbon lines these days?

I'm thinking about staying strictly with lulu.. the price is a killer but in the long run it may end up more cost effective if I don't have to do a bunch of warranty jobs.

I doubt warranty issues with either where you live will ever be a major issue for you. Commonwealth's HP has never been warranted as color stable or with labor coverage. Carbon covers each.

LLu's ATC, which is the closest in construction to Commonwealth's Carbon and has equal to or better than warranty coverage - should cost you similarly. If you use ATR the cost difference from Commonwealth's HP stems from LLu's color stable and labor coverage warranty. Plus ATR imo is just a better looking line (dye) with less exterior sheen/relectivity than HP. :twocents

Now that CXP's out, I'm sure theres a whole new twist that I can't address cause I don't know the pricing and haven't worked with it.

Guest Darknesswithin

correct me if I'm wrong.. if they are coming back as warranty jobs aren't you gonna get PAID to redo it??

correct me if I'm wrong.. if they are coming back as warranty jobs aren't you gonna get PAID to redo it??

Yeah, peanuts.

It all depends on where you live. The HP line doesnt last more than two years here. Plenty of fading and layer seperation. Im sure Carbon would be the same here. In Ohio, Id expect the film to last 3-5 years...which is still not great.

I'd prefer not to have to strip and retint everything I do 3 or 4 years down the road. :dunno

I only give out a warranty if asked for one (auto), and always tell customers who ask about the warranties that they are gimmicks. Maybe if I was doing 10 cars a day I would change my mind about not giving warranties. Plus, Im not worried about people coming back. I know that sounds pompous, but Ive been using my current film for so long, Im not worried about it failing in 5-8 years. The precentage of people that will keep a vehicle that long is low, so I dont bother with it.

BTW guest, my warrany card states "If the film is found to be defective, MADICO will have the film replaced at no cost to you for film and labor."

24 plus years here. Of ALL the films I have ever used only ONE - Madico has cut me a check for removal and retinting the car.

It has only happened twice. And I do not currently use their film and wasn't when the claim was turned in.

NOBODY else has done that. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBOOOOODDDDDYYYY!

:hmmm

So, you ask - Why am I NOT using Madico??

They are too expensive and won't deal. :blink: :nono :nono

Archived