Meter Math

EWF

On 1/1/2016 at 11:20 AM, Tintguy1980 said:

The formula doesn't account for how a film's color (spectrum) impacts results.

Back when NC passed their net 35 law I was a film sales rep for the state and it was noted how Centaur (PT) auto film would squeak by light meter devices while ATR failed even if they both had the same VLT going on the same VLT glass. Centaur was a more bluish looking smoked film.

Dealer in Burlington metered film from the box and marked the metered VLT on it label. He would have a minimum of five separate boxes of film of the same film product all with various VLTs. He would determine which to use by metering the glass, picking a sample thought to pass and place a small sample to the glass to gain a net reading. If it was off, he would look to another roll with either higher or lower VLT needed to pass.

All variables are not covered though, because you don't know battery charge strength of your meter compared to the one at the inspection station. And even then it has to be the same type meter with the same calibration variance confirmed.

Hummmmm?🤔  Interesting!

Its like a flashlight in hand in contrast too that little green light (of specific and lab calibrated intensity) in the meter!!!  The battery gets low and the light start to dim, thus effecting the sensor sensitivity reading as the intensity of light is less....

I just wonder if the self calibrating models would "Magically" adjust to the lower intensity at boot up? I doubt it as some models have that "Low Battery" warning for a reason, and I bet this is why.

So the lesson here Boys and Girls: if you are pulled over for questionable tint and the officer wants to test your windows, comply but ask the officer to go purchase some fresh batteries first (come back and install them in front of you) so you know the reading will be bonified lagit and provably accurate in the court of law..... and you will wait right there until the officer gets back! .... C-ya!:drive

Billions of dollars in technology, a tint law, a $300.00 fine, and it all depends on a $1.99  battery.