Rear Quarters

So I am trying to figure out a way to make the tint look better after applied to rear quarters with the dot matrix around because usually right after tint is applied, some areas stick and others do not making a very uneven silver surround. I know some guys apply black enamel and I am sure thats out of the question when the matrix is hidden behind plastic trim etc...

Would applying rapid tac help with this? I just feel it looks like $hit and am trying to find something that works for this.

So I am trying to figure out a way to make the tint look better after applied to rear quarters with the dot matrix around because usually right after tint is applied, some areas stick and others do not making a very uneven silver surround. I know some guys apply black enamel and I am sure thats out of the question when the matrix is hidden behind plastic trim etc...

Would applying rapid tac help with this? I just feel it looks like $hit and am trying to find something that works for this.

After it dries, usually the entire edge of the film comes away from the matrix, making it look even all around.

Guest maddtinter

The only way it will lay down is all mounting solution has be dried out .Use heat lamps,heat gun,or torch.Then force the tint into the dots with a soft hard card or black tip of conquereor tool.

Before you do this try to force as much mounting solution out so it can allow the tint to dry faster.Not all windows will allow the tint to adhere in the dotted area.This will take some practice to perfect,but I do agree that when the white outline is gone it makes the install look alot better.

Guest naughtydog

You can waste so much time on dot matrix without being able to charge for that time, if they want it to look close to factory - make them pay for the privilege!

If you have them come back in a few weeks you might have luck pushing them down, but you might not. Just a part of after market film is what most of us have come to accept.

Agreed!!!! Small 1/4 windows just tint them and go! Matrix in back windows that need attention you can learn good techniques in the tips section here on the forum how to get them to lay down the best you can! You just have to learn to accept that the silver outline in small 1/4 windows is part of the nature of this trade!

Guest tintjam65
If you have them come back in a few weeks you might have luck pushing them down, but you might not. Just a part of after market film is what most of us have come to accept.

Agreed!!!! Small 1/4 windows just tint them and go! Matrix in back windows that need attention you can learn good techniques in the tips section here on the forum how to get them to lay down the best you can! You just have to learn to accept that the silver outline in small 1/4 windows is part of the nature of this trade!

:nope

Best thing to do for this issue on upper B/G matrix is to have a back glass on display with several segment choices along the matrix band such as:

1 = Leave the installed film appear patchy

2 = Show what it looks like carding it out in 3-4 days (requires a return trip to the shop and don't make the display segment perfect or it will bite you if it doesn't come out that way)

3 = Cut away the film (looks like azz as we all know)

4 = Glue

5 = Paint (for a nominal fee and primer only, no krylon or grill paint)

6 = Black Vinyl (for a nominal fee)

At the point of sale or when a car with matrix is dropped off you take the owner to the display window and walk/talk them through each area and let them choose what they would like.

This pointedly drops the issue into their lap.

The remainder of the display can be split showing our work and the competitors work.

When it comes to border dots:

In the area of the display where no film is installed (# 3 on the list above), show the car owner how the dots are raised and simply explain that film does not stretch into the crevices between the 'raised' dots. Also explain how for the most part the film's adhesive is not thick enough to lay in between without compromising over all bonding capability, unless of course you use a film with phenominally thick coating weights.

Archived