4mil , tips on cutting and info

Hey guys, i install car and regular flat glass films now but ive never installed security film yet 1 customer wants 4 of their windows done in security film obviously for security.

2 windows (1 window 2 panes) are 4mm float glass like regular home windows . these 2 are being done in johnsons DN50 4mil

2 windows (2 panes, sliding doors) are laminated these will be done in johnson clear 4 mil

i use a multi edge tool to trip my flat glass film now but with 4 mil i think it may leave too big of a gap ? so any tips with cutting?, i normally try to line up top and 1 side then trip 1 side and the bottom providing when i buy the film pre cut it is cut square and straight which sometimes is not the case.

also with 4 mil how much will it delay the breakage of the glass ?

this is for a home behind security gates etc in a rich area most likely won't get broken into but chances are scum ppl who go to those areas to steal %&$# may do it.

would the film need to be locked in with a silicon or will it not really have much affect ?

cheers cuttingedge ! i was looking at some samples today and thinking 4 mil isn't going to stop someone unless its a 6 year old lol.

i might have to go re measure exact size and pre cut it then and then il seal the edges with a clear silicone,

If you go with the Dow 995, get an old window and practice with it. The stuff is like goo and not easy to work with. Being your first time out, practice with it before or you will have a mess. Just ask Cuttingedge about that one.................right CE??? :boogie (memories of a Certain Key West... :blink: )

Hey guys, i install car and regular flat glass films now but ive never installed security film yet 1 customer wants 4 of their windows done in security film obviously for security.

2 windows (1 window 2 panes) are 4mm float glass like regular home windows . these 2 are being done in johnsons DN50 4mil

2 windows (2 panes, sliding doors) are laminated these will be done in johnson clear 4 mil

i use a multi edge tool to trip my flat glass film now but with 4 mil i think it may leave too big of a gap ? so any tips with cutting?, i normally try to line up top and 1 side then trip 1 side and the bottom providing when i buy the film pre cut it is cut square and straight which sometimes is not the case.

this is for a home behind security gates etc in a rich area most likely won't get broken into but chances are scum ppl who go to those areas to steal %&$# may do it.

would the film need to be locked in with a silicon or will it not really have much affect ?

If the windows are completly square you can cut them on a table using a T-handle. This is a very effective way. If you have a film handler and take your time, you could cut 4mil, but i would not recommend 7 or 8mil. Also, if you have a filmhandler, depending on the framing system, you could cut it like regular film, just being careful with your corners. I cut a regular entry door today out of the box using 8mil. This was out of necessity , not really habit, but it can be done. Dont let the 4mil intimidate you, just take your time, and when you first get the film in, cut of a piece and play around with it , seeing what works, and what does not.

If the windows are completly square you can cut them on a table using a T-handle. This is a very effective way. If you have a film handler and take your time, you could cut 4mil, but i would not recommend 7 or 8mil. Also, if you have a filmhandler, depending on the framing system, you could cut it like regular film, just being careful with your corners. I cut a regular entry door today out of the box using 8mil. This was out of necessity , not really habit, but it can be done. Dont let the 4mil intimidate you, just take your time, and when you first get the film in, cut of a piece and play around with it , seeing what works, and what does not.

7mil + for security, dow 995 for attachment, or some type of mechanical attachment. Charge something for residential, cause you will probably have some f-ups. let the film tack, take painters tape to tape off where you are going to caulk, then put half as much dow 995 as you think you are going to use. The corners are tricky, not so much the sides. should be about a 1" bead, with a half inch covering the frame, a half inch making contact with film. Dow 995 tends to want to fall under its own weight. My advice is the same as some others. Practice on a window first. Also, check the framing system, because security film is useless in certain situations, and can actually make intrusion easier. I hate to say this but its true.

Guest sydneytintsolutions

Hey theyre all spot on with the advice on attaching frame system to film. This is popular in the USA and elsewhere but not too much over here. Its done but not often.

Edge sealing the film is tricky and messy and you will have issues your first time, the main one being a neat and tidy appearance on an attractive door in a beautuful home. You dont want an outcome where every time they look at the finished product they hate it more and more because you will then be asked to remove it.

If you have fitted with dow995 or similar you should have chopped the rubbers away and built up quite a but of dow to secure the film more. Good luck removing it and replacing rubbers if customer not wrapped !

Your other option is to fit a system known as frame guard which once again is commonly fitted to high risk premises like embassy,s etc overseas and not needed over here yet. Its called bomb blast mitigation.

With both these methods you should fit 7mil. It is more difficult to cut but just line up top edge, use brand new blue max with very little johnsons no more tears shampoo (low ph levels) just have a little bit of olfa knife potruding, enough to penetrate film and free hand your trimming, dont use the 5 way tool as the gap will be huge. (If you use dow the big gap wont matter)

Good luck and if you get stuck, call Myles at Johnsons as he's a good guy.

Cheers

www.sydneytint.com.au/

Archived