Polycarbonate Windows

Guest c5golfguy

Guest c5golfguy

Title explains it... got a customer with polycarbonate windows and wants them tinted.

Whats the longevity you've experienced with these types of windows.

Thoughts? :lol2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Title explains it... got a customer with polycarbonate windows and wants them tinted.

Thoughts? :lol2

Hanita has several films that are compatible. We have done several sun rooms that have lexan and so far, so good.

:dunno

Thoughts? :rest

Hanita has several films that are compatible. We have done several sun rooms that have lexan and so far, so good.

:spit

Madico also has a film that's safe for lexan. I've used it a couple times... and like V4V - so far so good.

I always find it a pita to trim the film, The blade wants to score the polly and walk off the line you are cutting.

Agreed. Major pita. Best, if possible, to cut the film elsewhere. Of course that's not always possible.....

Does anyone know how that works??

Polycarbonate has been taboo for a long time. EWF currently does not have a poly-safe film. I admit I don't know very much about these films.

The only trick I heard of for this issue came from a great customer in New York who claimed to have success by installing a layer of Clear 2M and then installing the selected film on top of that. Perhaps that created a barrier that locked the gas down.

The other question relates to removal. What happens if the film requires replacement due to physical damage, scratching or other problems? How do you clean the adhesive from the surface without damaging it?

Someone please educate me.

-Howard

Polycarbonate has been taboo for a long time. EWF currently does not have a poly-safe film. I admit I don't know very much about these films.

The only trick I heard of for this issue came from a great customer in New York who claimed to have success by installing a layer of Clear 2M and then installing the selected film on top of that. Perhaps that created a barrier that locked the gas down.

The other question relates to removal. What happens if the film requires replacement due to physical damage, scratching or other problems? How do you clean the adhesive from the surface without damaging it?

-Howard

My understanding is that the adhesives used by Hanita and Madico are essentially clear vinyl and vinyl adhesives.

They typically won't leave a residue. This adhesive won't trap the out-gassing so you won't have the bubbles and corrosive appearance you would find using a polyester film either CDF or PSA adhesives. (this includes that 2 ML clear.

Hanita combines the layer touching the glass with a top layer of polyester film. Silver is the most common.

I may be behind the times with Madico; but their Blister free product was available in clear only. You would then add an additional polyester layer on top of the base layer (double application). Of course you would have many more choices of VLT's and appearance since you could install virtually any film the client requests.

The Polly windows we have done with the madico product have held up fairly well. I'm not sure if it has been on 3 or 4 years now. One thing that I'm not fully informed about is weather the cold climate will cause failure to happen quicker than it would in a warm climate. I imagine because of the constant temp change, the out gassing would be much more of a issue. Time will tell

-Howard

My understanding is that the adhesives used by Hanita and Madico are essentially clear vinyl and vinyl adhesives.

They typically won't leave a residue. This adhesive won't trap the out-gassing so you won't have the bubbles and corrosive appearance you would find using a polyester film either CDF or PSA adhesives. (this includes that 2 ML clear.

Hanita combines the layer touching the glass with a top layer of polyester film. Silver is the most common.

I may be behind the times with Madico; but their Blister free product was available in clear only. You would then add an additional polyester layer on top of the base layer (double application). Of course you would have many more choices of VLT's and appearance since you could install virtually any film the client requests.

I have used the madico product on many boats actually. And i have even shrunk it on some really curved pieces for some applications too. I know of one boat that is and a layer of limo have held up for 2 years now. The adhesive is really different on the blister free film. when you release the liner, you can feel the difference. Also madico claims you can almost immediately put the second layer on .

Guest c5golfguy

This thread has taken off. Wow, I'm glad I asked the question.

I'll call Madico and Hanita to get some pricing. We've got a stock pile of 4mil, so we can go that route, but I just got off the phone with the custy and he wants to try the film only route. These windows were extremely expensive to put in and he doesn't want to risk having to redo them at some point.

Thanks ya'll! This is why this place rocks...tons of info :twocents:bingo

Archived