Square Footage per Car?

Guest leadsupplier

Guest leadsupplier

I'm trying to figure out how much square footage in tint I will be using to tint a car. Can someone give me some estimates?

I am trying to be as efficient as possible. I am planning on using a plotter with computer cutting software. My original thought was to buy 60" rolls to minimize waste. I figured with a 60" roll, i might only have to use 3 or 4 feet from that roll per car 5ft x 4ft = 20sq feet.

However i am not sure if i am close with this figure. So i am looking for someone that uses software and a plotter to give me a ballpark of what square footage is used when cutting out for a 2dr or 4dr.

i've read on here on another post people were saying 7 to 10ft from a 36" roll ... this would be 10ft x 3ft = 30sqft ... i'm guessing this is somewhat accurate? but any extra input is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno

you will need more than 4' off a 60" roll to do a full four door car.

the BG alone is usually 48"wide and 36" tall(average) so thats 4' off the roll, and the front rollups are usually 3', so you couldn't turn them sideways on the roll, plus you have to keep track of the grain for shrinking.

i think the most popular system for doing cars with a plotter is a 40" system with 40" film. That way, the doors always have the grain up and down, and with nesting the patterns you can get by on 7-8' for most cars. Or, on a 100' roll, another car, maybeee two off a full roll, assuming 10' used on average for hand cutting.

First off, you dont need to be using 60" rolls of film. If you dont have a plotter yet, then save the money and go with a 40".

Second using a 40" roll

4 door est sqft 42'

2 door est sqft 28'

2 fronts only est sqft 14'

Most doors are 50-60 inches long and you can get most set of doors on a 40" side by side. Others are just rotated and once again the size is pretty close. When you work with a coupe they usually stack the quarters on the front of the doors where they swoop down and the film is usually wasted.

Last, @Scooter D Nose, this once again is a topic you have no business giving advice. You dont cut film with a plotter nor do you have any plotter software. :welcome

Guest scottydosnntkno

SSK- what kind of cars are you doing that have 50/60" long doors? or are you referring to both front and back together? Because last time i pulled out a ruler on a window(this morning) the front door was 37" and the rear was 23", on a 2011 taurus. So those two together would give you 60", but your post implies that "most doors" means each individual door.

and as for "not giving advice", if you read what I said, its the EXACT same thing you said. that you shouldn't use 60" rolls on a plotter, you should use 40".

and as TA posted, your "estimates" are ~20% off, which I was also going to mention. If you're using 42' off a 40" roll, you're not even getting 10 cars out of the roll, which is 350'. I can get more than that hand cutting, because as I already said, 10' is pretty generous when hand cutting. 36" for the front doors, 24" for the rear doors+quarters if it has em, and 5' for the BG, which is pretty generous, as I rarely get one over 4' wide.

10 cars = 1 roll is pretty standard for hand cutting

Archived