factory tint

Guest Fast And Furious Co

Guest Fast And Furious Co

Got a question I have never seen posted here and I have ever personally tried it. I tinted over the facotry glass on my explorer last year and was thinking of stripping and retinting something a little lighter, the question is, is a razor gonna affect the factory tinted glass while scrapping the adhesive? I feel stupid asking since ive been tinting for a few years, but Ive never tried this or heard of anyone talking about it or trying it, so yeah, thanx in advance.

It depends

Most factory tint glass is fine to strip same as regular glass However I have seen glass on Explorer Lexus RX trucks Old Pathfinders with that reflective finish get scratched up bad when you use a razor on it. if your gonna give it a try beware and let the adhesive get real soft (soak with whatever adhesive remover you are using) and make sure its wet not dry when using a razor. or use a teflon safe scrub pad to rub it off

The newer factory smoked glass is fine. Older factory reflective glass will definitely scratch up! I'm speaking from experience here.... :thumb on an older Toyota 4-runner. :cooldot :booga

Guest Litespeeds

If the factory tint is kind of shiney from the outside and has a bronze hue, I would advise you DO NOT USE A RAZOR BLADE to scrape off the glue. You will put fine scratches everywhere and it will look like a spiderweb. That is a coating that they put on the glass and is non-repairable if scratched.

I learned my lesson on a Toyota 4-Runner when I tinted it and there was a water bubble that the owner wanted me to get rid of. I didn't think about piercing it and squeezing the water out but decided to remove the film and install a new piece. Well, to make a long story short, it cost me about $450 for that rear quarter glass and I will NEVER FORGET IT!

If you have to remove the film, I would use some sort of adhesive remover and a soft scrub pad and slowly scrub off the adhesive. All I can say is, I WILL NEVER remove tint from those type of factory tinted windows. :thumb

REally do need some help on this one.

I have been working on removing hard water stains on flat glass for a short while now and have come across the colour on factory tinted glass like streaking. I am trying to find reason for this and am hoping that it has nothing to do with the extensive buffing to the glass. Could someone shed some light on this one. Really would appreciate it.

Sorry guys to dig this one out.

This here is exactly what I am looking for. A flat glass with reflective gold like coating, factory tinted. So it seems that my having the glass buff to the external side of it may have removed part of the coating. Thanks

Guest Beeline
The newer factory smoked glass is fine. Older factory reflective glass will definitely scratch up! I'm speaking from experience here.... :hmmm on an older Toyota 4-runner. :hmmm :booga

I have seen this myself..... be careful....

Archived