On a downer with my roll-ups!!

Guest naughtydog

Guest naughtydog

I am fairly new to the tint biz but I am always keen to learn and progress. Today I tinted a Mercedes Vito, it;s the second one in two days. This is the older model and it has quite large roll downs.

fmercedesvito.jpg

I know this should be a straight forward job but I made a meal out of it!! :booga

I pulled the panels on this one as they come off easy. When I come to apply my film I remove all the liner and then try and get the film in at the front edge first and then drop the trailing edge in, this is where my problems occour. Sometimes the film will collapse onto itself and the adhesive will touch together, this leaves little specks in the film that you can feel after you have squeegeed the film. :thumb Sometimes the film may lick part of the top of the door and pick up sh!t. Would I be better leaving the bottom section of the liner attached and then setting the top half of my film and then try and feed the lower section in?? :booga

Is there anything that can be done with those little specks of sh!t, I sometimes get them no matter how much cleaning I do.

What are your methods and how can I change my ways and clean up my act!!

Thanks

Naughtydog

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes the film will collapse onto itself and the adhesive will touch together, this leaves little specks in the film that you can feel after you have squeegeed the film. :thumb

You don't wet the film before installing it on the glass? That'll keep the film from sticking to itself.

Guest tintgod

when applying the film like you do...put the front..or nose section in first...then let the film fall back onto you left or right forarm.depenting on what side you are doing...not letting it curl under or touch the top of the door or door frame...and work the bottom of the film down..shifting it into the back seal...once there...position it into place and squeege away... :thumb

when applying the film like you do...put the front..or nose section in first...then let the film fall back onto you left or right forarm.

Thats the right way

If you clean the glass really well and all the adjacent areas ( side and front frames) you might be having water problems. I find that if you get dirt in the film there usually an obvious reason. The film rolled up or you didnt notice that you laid the film on the frame however if you find that these "dots" are scattered random throught the window I would check to see if your water is dirty.

Get a new bottle (if water sits to long in the bottle it can get scummy) fill it and look is there any contaminants floating in there. You'll be surprised I do alot of road work and some place I wouldnt wash my ass with the water they have. and then add your slip agent and do a simple window if that comes out clean try something more difficult like one of those roll downs. Try and remain calm cool and collected I find things go bad fast If I mess up 1 window then try to hurry the next one if sure to mess up a second time then a third then im so aggravated that I could KILL.

sounds like you have the basics to do a good job but you just need keep on doing it clean work is what a professional gives you and that only comes with time and you cant buy it at any price.

Guest tintgod
I leave the bottom half of the liner on until I get the top half on AND squeegeed...always have, always will.

when doing it your way s&s...I have done it that way..but ....when I have done it..I get small creases in the film where the film is in the seal and the rest is outside the seal..were thee liner is still on..or do you leave it on and apply it just like the liner is all off then roll it all the way up then pull it off :cooldot ...it would seam like it would get dirt in it wene taking the liner off and flushing it out ...like I said I have done it your way...but just seem like I get a better job by taking the entire liner off and feeding down into the door...be aware..im not say your way is bad..or anyone else...that is just the problem that I have had... :thumb

Guest S and S

leave it on and apply it just like the liner is all off then roll it all the way up then pull the bottom off...when you pull the liner make sure you wet the glass AND wet the film as you pull the liner off working from left to right... when you clean the windows wipe the door off too to eliminate the dirt....very seldom do I crease it or get contamination.

Guest Sprinter

as S & S said set the top first and roll up, now before you pull the rest of the liner off pull the tint up off the glass about two inches from where you last squegeed tword the bottom and flush the film and the glass out.

don't let the liner hit the glass as your removing it and all should go well.

slide the sides in and then wet and squegee and you should have it from there.

if your still getting specks check your water or rince out your sprayer and get a filter to filter in your water, also put a filter inline so as to help out more with small stuff thats in the water.

Archived