wax before ppf?

Guest kccartint
Depends on the brand of PPF. We use to claybar before install when I worked for DC. At Enpro we wax before because the adhesive on our product is so aggressive. We want to protect the finish of the car for removal.

If your talking about VS then you don't know what aggressive is. :boogie Stuck today and peeled tomorrow. :boogie Stuff is just shy of cling on.

Anyways....

Always strip wax. Most films will lay fine with wax applied but many will have adhesion problems later. You can prevent possible headaches by striping wax ahead of time. I have tried it both ways with them all. They always stay put with the wax removed. Its a 50/50 with wax applied. Often times they are fine but the ones that have issues have always been waxed.

Edited by kccartint

Guest execpaintpro

You definately want the surface wax free. Wax will form small imperfections in the film especially the optically clear films that do not go away. Claybar and polish the paint and wipe with alcohol. Surface should squeek when you rub your finger on it.

Depends on the brand of PPF. We use to claybar before install when I worked for DC. At Enpro we wax before because the adhesive on our product is so aggressive. We want to protect the finish of the car for removal.

If your talking about VS then you don't know what aggressive is. :lol2 Stuck today and peeled tomorrow. :spit Stuff is just shy of cling on.

Anyways....

Always strip wax. Most films will lay fine with wax applied but many will have adhesion problems later. You can prevent possible headaches by striping wax ahead of time. I have tried it both ways with them all. They always stay put with the wax removed. Its a 50/50 with wax applied. Often times they are fine but the ones that have issues have always been waxed.

You obviously have not used them in the last 2 months since the adhesive has changed. Its now a 3m adhesive. You might want to check it out. Also, I have used and or tested with every other film on the market except Nano Fusion. So I think I would know what properties an aggressive adhesive is. :lol

Hmm, thanks for the info guys. Whats your favorite way to remove wax? I want to try the Xpel stuff but wonder if its any better then good ole cheap rubbing alcohol

I would assume you are referring to Surface Prep. Surface Prep is actually not a wax remover, but rather an adhesive promoter. You'll only want to use it on small areas like edges (especially if wrapping) and difficult valleys that might otherwise give you trouble. It is designed to give you varying levels of adhesion. This allows the majority of the kit to continue to be user friendly and easy to lift and reapply if necessary, whereas the edges will stick the first time you squeegee them and not lift.

We use Acry Solvent as a wax remover for our local installs, however just about any wax remover will do. Alcohol alone will not do much to remove a thick coat of wax. In fact, a car that is regularly waxed will likely require quite a bit of hard scrubbing with a true wax remover. If you look closely, you can actually see the remover dissolve the wax as you rub it on. The best way to tell is to check whether water is still beading up or if your hand still glides across the paint smoothly. If the wax is properly removed, the surface of the paint should almost be tacky to the touch and water should sheet on the surface.

The only time we don't remove the wax is if we have anything with a less than OEM quality automotive paint job (think RV or respray) to avoid paint lifting.

Edited by XPEL Jeff

Guest tintjam65

I would think waxing before is a moot effort given the possibility ppf's adhesive chemical make up may interact to the point of eventually destroying the wax coating, so why bother? :thumb