Approaching a dealership...

Guest drew675

The best advice I can give is do not paint all dealerships with the same prejudice brush as some previous advice. Fact is there are good ones and bad ones, dead beats, great payers, bottom price ones, pay for quality ones. The trick is to weed out the good ones from he bad ones and bend over backwards with good service to the ones that earn your respect in return. They are not all the same, it won't happen overnight to know the good from the bad, it's a learning curve and will take time to get it down to the good ones.

Listen to this smart man. :thumb

I personally love my dealer accounts.

The best advice I can give is do not paint all dealerships with the same prejudice brush as some previous advice. Fact is there are good ones and bad ones, dead beats, great payers, bottom price ones, pay for quality ones. The trick is to weed out the good ones from he bad ones and bend over backwards with good service to the ones that earn your respect in return. They are not all the same, it won't happen overnight to know the good from the bad, it's a learning curve and will take time to get it down to the good ones.

Listen to this smart man. :bingo

I personally love my dealer accounts.

Well said Tint Wizard :thumb

I'm with Slick I love my dealer work. :D

On 12/15/2010 at 6:55 PM, abc40kids said:

Dealerships want someone thats gonna be there to hold their hand 24/7 and if you have the patience and the ability to handle the car when they call you can make some good money.I'm the most exspensive shop around and have lost some work to dealers that try to save a buck but they always come back.If you want to keep a dealership and not worry about some fly-by-night shop taking your business because he's cheaper make sure you do it right the first time,be professional with your billing,don't get upset when the aftermarket girls have you running the lot for a car thats not even there.All my dealers have price sheets,displays,brochures...make it as easy as you can for them.I give my dealers a discounted price and only use lifetime film,I did a car for FREE last month(2010 Challenger)to help the GM out of a bad situation,but it all comes back around.I called the same dealer two days ago and asked them if they wanted a jeep hooked up to put out front before Christmas(lift kit,tint,wheels and tires)he said go for it,just don't bill me till Jan.1,it's gonna be in front of his dealership tomorrow!Like others said just start visiting dealers and make sure your talking to the right person...not a salesperson.I always ask if they have a aftermarket dept. then move to the service dept. and if no luck I go for the GM.Have your price sheet ready,brochure of your film,even a spread sheet of say 1 month doing 10 to 15 cars.Show him what he can make with you doing all the work.Dealers are charging double what you charge and thats what it's all about to them...money.Remember also to be on your game,be confident in what your trying to do,you only have a few minutes to sell them on your shop.If your able to look into some east bolt on accessories(hitches,nerf bars,bug deflectors...)you can make money and save them money because the aftermarket parts are less expensive than their own parts from their parts dept.Good luck and don't give in too early,it may take a few visits to get them on board and for what it's worth the dealerships are'nt for everyone but there is good money in it if you can handle the stress of it.Throw a few Starbucks gift cards around every once in awhile and they will remember you.

Great Information this is exactly why I signed in.. I recently opened a tint shop and want to get accounts with dealerships and don't know how it works as I am new in the industry. This is great insight; however I still have a question, I do realize that this post is from 2010. However, I hope someone can answer my question about pricing, my place is in southern California in north county. What should I charge them, I am assuming a tier pricing would be ideal at least for me? Is this correct?