Melting point of films?

I read on film specification sheets that a lot of films have a melting point of 250-260C.

What exactly does this mean? :) It's a technical term and I'm sure it has nothing to do with putting a blow torch on film once installed on glass and see what temp it goes to lunch at.

Any knowledge appreciated.

Devil

We use 4 mil films for lamps - it was our first installation 1 sq.m. 4 mi8l film - AND I DID IT WITH MY HANDS, and bottle of konyak :) It was my first and last installation. February, 1993. Melting point means how fast window film became I forget this word, became burnt or.... So we use it for glass covers on lams - and it works O.K.. Other aplication fireresistance - It's other discussion...

:lol I think U understand what I want 2 tell :) Film can work under temperature....

I read on film specification sheets that a lot of films have a melting point of 250-260C.

What exactly does this mean?? :) It's a technical term and I'm sure it has nothing to do with putting a blow torch on film once installed on glass and see what temp it goes to lunch at.

Any knowledge appreciated.

Devil

I believe it is more about holding a piece of film to a flame or other heat source and measuring the temperature point at which it melts.

However, there are tests done to determine how resistant to fire a film may be, but this has more to do with whether the film will actually flash to flame during a fire or does it just melt and produce smoke.

I am inclined to think it (the melting point) is more about at what temp does film melt when exposed to high heat and is tested strictly for this reason... not having anything to do with establishing a fire rating.

I can ask for a clearer answer on Monday (US time). :)

Or... put a heat gun to it and measure the film surface temp with a laser thermometer, as I have, and... almost instant melt down. Highest temp I have measured while heat forming film approached 300 F.

:booga

What exactly does this mean??  Devil

I believe it is more about holding a piece of film to a flame or other heat source and measuring the temperature point at which it melts. :lol6

Melting point of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) polyester film is 386-387 F (196-197 C) and is determined by the answer in the above quote box.

:gay

as part of this thread, toxic emissions might also be something to also consider if and when the film does not stand up to the heat/flame...

2cents

Good point there HO... isn't that part of flammability testing in order to receive a fire rating on the product (US domestic market)?

:booga

Guest H?perOptik

yes, it is part of fire safety standards (which exactly I can recall :lol )

I have to check and get back if you guys are interested... but need some time cos I will be offline till next wk :bingo

yes, it is part of fire safety standards (which exactly I can recall  :lol )

I have to check and get back if you guys are interested... but need some time cos I will be offline till next wk  :bingo

ASTM something or other? :lol

Archived