Liability on illegal window tint

Guest afiaaron

Guest tdmillet
it funny you say that because i most times im out and around the tint shops in my area, most if not every car i see in there lots are illegal. im just curious how these shops are getting away with it?

most shops make the customer pay with cash and dont give a receipt.

Guest Darknesswithin

yep,, if your caught doing it then you are subject to fines and or jail....

if someone gets killed in an accident do your really think the owner of the car won't point fingers at "whos responsible"?

I hate to do it but I flat out turn them down if they don't bring me a "medical exempt form filled out and signed by his doctor"!! period!!

Guest tdmillet
yep,, if your caught doing it then you are subject to fines and or jail....

if someone gets killed in an accident do your really think the owner of the car won't point fingers at "whos responsible"?

I hate to do it but I flat out turn them down if they don't bring me a "medical exempt form filled out and signed by his doctor"!! period!!

Then who is responsible when someone dies in a car wreck. ????? Right. It is all crap. I have been tinting for 20+ years and never had a problem. It is the customers responsiblity for there own actions. And that is the bottom line.

This has come up several times and there was a case in Florida where a child was hit by car 'cause the tint was too dark on the car that hit him. I am no lawyer but I deal with libability issues every day and we have to and need to protect ourself while providing our clients/customers with a service that they are pleased with. I have a medical exemption and the folks that put 5% tint on my vehicle were concerned so I provided them with a copy of that MEDEX. I got a 2010 charger and it's 15% all around except the windshiels and the same thing--in order to protect myself as well as the shop owner I provided them with a copy of the MEDEX as well; now the shop owner knows what a Mississippi Tint Exemption looks like and it's the only one that's acceptable and this way it doesn't hold the owner responsible. Sane problem with getting it inspected; without a MEDEX thay can't, by law, inspect my car without it. My advice is to not install it unless it's legal and make a copy of the MEDEX if they have one or you are setting yourself up for potential libality.

Be safe,

Jimmy

Guest Mario

Most 5,15,20% film has less heat rejection than other higher quality film at legal VLT. So, usually when people get 5%, it is not for heat rejection. They get it for the look or for the privacy.

Remember, lots of states allow 5% on the back portion of a sedan/station wagon/SUV.

I presonally don't do illegal tint, because I like sleeping well at night...

I had 5% on my work truck, and I know understand why it's not safe!!!

Guest Nehmo
Personaily if they want their windows dark i will only show them how to put it on and sell them the film precut, but i don't tint windows ilegally. :lol

That would be illegal too. In some states you would be an accessory before the fact and in others you would simply be an accessory, which would be equivalent to another crime doer. But if you had the understanding they were going to use it legally, perhaps driving around on their farm, then you would be within the law.

`~- Nehmo

Guest chrisbiz4444

I am considering starting a tint bussiness, The only problem is that i live in a state where no tint is legal. However the boarder state alows 35% but almost everyone i know wants 20% or darker so how is there even money to be made here. I see other shops doing it all the time up to even 5 %. Do you have any advise for me because i really want to get into this business but this law seems like a real problem.

I heard of a shop in MO that tinted darker. The customer hit someone and killed them. The shop got hit with a multi-million dollar lawsuit and is no longer in business! Civil liability is a real bear let alone the criminal side....

I would love to find a newspaper article of something like this to frame in my waiting room, it would save me the daily speech I have to give customers on what is a torturing boring subject on my end.