ex 3M dealer still a fan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people didn't care what brand I sold, they bought because of my reputation.

:money

No matter which side of the 3M fence that you are on, there is no doubt that the 3M name gets you in doors that no other window film brand does. I think that I have a fairly good reputation not only in this industry, but in the business community in general. That being said, I have been invited into offices and meetings that I know were a result of my affiliation with 3M. That is not t say anything negative about any other manufacturer or their product. I am just saying that the 3M name does bring credibility on the street. :thumb

This isnt directed towards you...

This is the reason why 3M should change their misleading literature and dealers in the way they sell film. If they want to continue to be the "leader" they need to change how they mislead the consumer. There is no reason an educated sales guy (non 3M dealer) should lose a bid to a 3M dealer.

There are plenty of good quality high-end films that aren't exclusive and don't require an arm, leg and first born to carry. :lol2

Call around... get sample books and price sheets.

-R

Oh I know. I have a price list from just about every manny that I can think of. But when I got my 3M price sheet I just put it back in the folder and thought to myself. Somebody would have to be a pretty big fan of 3M to pay double or more then what I sell now. I'm telling you where I live no wonder my area is still avalible. My rep is telling me oh yeah we can make you a prestige dealer and your business will just grow and grow off our good rep. Sound just like a salesman huh.

So what I'm thinking of sticking with johnson until someone can tell me a brand out there that I can get most film's in 72 inch and still afford to sell to my custy's for a realistic price. And don't even say suntek. I know there are alot of suntek fans on here, and while their film's are ok. They just aren't as good as they use to be just more expensive. :twocents

There are plenty of good quality high-end films that aren't exclusive and don't require an arm, leg and first born to carry. :lol2

Call around... get sample books and price sheets.

-R

Oh I know. I have a price list from just about every manny that I can think of. But when I got my 3M price sheet I just put it back in the folder and thought to myself. Somebody would have to be a pretty big fan of 3M to pay double or more then what I sell now. I'm telling you where I live no wonder my area is still avalible. My rep is telling me oh yeah we can make you a prestige dealer and your business will just grow and grow off our good rep. Sound just like a salesman huh.

So what I'm thinking of sticking with johnson until someone can tell me a brand out there that I can get most film's in 72 inch and still afford to sell to my custy's for a realistic price. And don't even say suntek. I know there are alot of suntek fans on here, and while their film's are ok. They just aren't as good as they use to be just more expensive. :twocents

Its crazy what 3M sells film to their dealers for, but you have to listen to what PJF said. People are familiar with the name, thus making it more appealing. MMM cant bank on that for too much longer IMO. I feel its my duty to inform the customer about the misleading infomation fed to them, and I also feel it isnt bashing or being unprofessional in doing so. Its just too easy to show how their FILM is inferior, without a mention of who is trying to sell it to the customer.

Ive got a home show coming up in two weeks, and a 3M dealer will be there, as well as a Huper/Suntek dealer. We show the film in a different way that is more relateable to a consumer. Unfortunately, one of the dealers that will be there will undercut us drastically to keep us out of the job...and it isnt the 3M dealer.

Somebody would have to be a pretty big fan of 3M to pay double or more then what I sell now. I'm telling you where I live no wonder my area is still avalible.

I'm far from a 3m fan.... but I really don't see anything wrong with the prices they charge for their films. (Except the fact I don't think the quality of their films match what they charge) In fact I think just about every other film company charges way too low for their films. If film prices were higher, people would have to charge more money or just stop tinting. I look at films like Huper and VKool... films that are prices significantly higher and yet their dealers are able to charge accordingly and stay in business. Tint shops in my area charge the same, if not less, then 10 yrs ago when I first started. That's why I hate tinting right in my area. I'd rather go a little further out and be able to charge at least somewhat closer to what I think prices should be.

Anyway....

Madico has a number of their films in 72".... I've been using them forever and am very happy with the film, both from an installers POV and performance wise.

I know that this forum is very anti-3M, but I really have to question some of the comments. 3M film is by far not the least expensive film out there, but everyone knows that. What I really do not understand are the comments that 3M film is not a quality product. As I mentioned, I spent nearly a decade representing a film that is almost universally considered the best, or one of the best, window films manufactured. I still do believe that company makes a top quality product. However, I also feel that there is a total of 5 quality manufacturers in this industry. I wont name names, but I would include 3M as one of them. The claims that they make a low quality product and charge top dollar for it simply are not true. Is it more expensive than some of the others on my list....yes. However, when you take into account the doors that the 3M name opens up, I still think it is priced appropriately. :twocents In addition, I am not sure what films are being compared, but 3M films are not 2 times the price of a competitor. I can even think of a couple product categories where 3M films are some of the best values available.

I also do not see any higher percentage of bad or warranty film from 3M than I saw at the other manufacturer that is held in such high regard. Again, I am not trying to bash anyone. Truth is that there are a handful of companies making good quality films in this industry. However, even if you assume quality parity among the top companies, the only brand that will be known in the marketplace is 3M.

This should be nothing new to anyone here. Name brand items always command a higher price than unknown brands. It is true of nearly any consumer product that you can name. Also true is that name brands often command a price premium against similar quality, lessor known competitors. Why do Samsung TVs sell for more than Sanyo? In some cases, both TVs are made side by side in the same factory in Asia using the same components. Sometimes the only difference is the casing and interface software. Even so, Samsung sells more TVs at a higher price, and they are considered better quality than Sanyo.

In closing, I do not want to get into a back and forth on this topic, so this is my last post on this thread. I am just trying to get some people to not be so single minded regarding the 3M brand. I know that it is the popular thing to do to bash 3M on this forum, but I encourage you to talk to all legitimate manufacturers and make up your own mind on what product suits you. My advice that I have shared here before is to find a quality product backed by top shelf support and service. It is up to you to determine what product checks those boxes for you in your geographic area of the country.

Good luck everyone. Go out and crush it in 2011! Opportunity is all around us. :lol2

the only brand that will be known in the marketplace is 3M.

That's true, but it's not due to the quality of their films. It's due to the fact that 3M sells a billion items from post-it notes to surgical supplies. If SunTek or Madico sold just as many products, they would be more known. So people aren't surprised that 3M sells window film.... they sell everything else.

Of course, out of all the products they sell, how many are actually made by them??

-R

Most people didn't care what brand I sold, they bought because of my reputation.

:thumb

No matter which side of the 3M fence that you are on, there is no doubt that the 3M name gets you in doors that no other window film brand does. I think that I have a fairly good reputation not only in this industry, but in the business community in general. That being said, I have been invited into offices and meetings that I know were a result of my affiliation with 3M. That is not t say anything negative about any other manufacturer or their product. I am just saying that the 3M name does bring credibility on the street. :lol6

My comment was not against 3M or any other brand. I was about branding your own company as it's own, not being dependent on a film brand.

If you base your marketing, and business practice by a manufacturer logo, what will happen if you decide to switch to a different brand? It is not uncommon for people to change brands after time. If you are known by brand, this will really throw dirt in the workings. People will question the change and question your company.

Yes Patric it is true that the 3M logo is a recognized logo. However, it is not recognized for window film. Window film is one of thousands of products with the red logo. You are correct, that logo will let you in a few doors. But I do not believe that is why you are selling window film(because of the brand) It is your selling technique.

Archived