ex 3M dealer still a fan

Each business owner needs to create their own business model. There is value in the 3M brand and logo. Consumers recognize it and there is a halo effect and good will. That's a strength.

If you have rights to that brand and a small number of competitors (1-2) with that brand you'll be able to promote the product and set higher priced installations.

When/if 3M adds more dealers, or recruits competitive dealers allowing dual brands; their initial results may look good but their long range outlook will be compromised.

Dealers who were exclusive will be forced to look beyond their logo. They would be foolish to advertise the now diluted brand because new competitors will offer lower pricing for the very same film.

Many of the new dealers who were recruited will use that brand as a lost leader. They will lead with the logo but rapidly switch their client a better value (whether real or perceived)

(I am trying to be nice!)

This brand will be further diluted. Loyal dealers will be concerned or worse and the reaction will not be the result they envisioned.

Every action has a reaction. It's the law of unintended consequences.

The key success for that type of strategy (promoting a brand) is that they have to market a film that is equal or greater than the brand image.

If it's not- - than no amount of hype or misrepresentation can make that strategy sustainable.

That's why you may see exaggerations or misleading statements from their dealers.

BTW how much of a price increase was passed down?

Obviously non 3M dealers have a different tactical approach that can be very successful (like the original post described!)

This subject has always interested me for a variety of reasons.

:idea

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i sell it and will continue to sell it unless the 3M brand in general gets bad press. just having it brings so many benefits. and it doesnt mean you have to sell it. i only use 3M film on maybe 25% of all my business

This is an example of what can hurt 3M, dealers using the logo to draw in business/establish credibility. Only to more often than not push a competing brand.

Not hating, can't say I wouldn't do the same. My head would be spinning if I was the 3M rep in the area though. :twocents

Had a 2011 RX450H in here getting some Air Blue and it had 3m on the roll ups from the dealer. I don't know what line they use on their dealer work, but it wasn't as nice looking as the Madico and Llumar I've installed.

Guest Retnitorp
I was a loyal 3M dealer for years and when some people are negetive about 3M I just thought they had sour grapes.

I did well with 3M or so I thought, but then after getting to know them I didn't like some of thier business practices and I started offering other films, it was the silver lining in the cloud.

Once I started giving other options I realized all of the business I had been losing because I was priced out of the market with 3M. It out weighed what I did sell because of the 3M name. Most people didn't care what brand I sold, they bought because of my reputation. I am still using a name brand quality film but for about half the cost of 3M. I get better service and feel like they value my business.

I now hear they are having another large price increase. Not sure why they are so proud of themselves or thier product. But my business has tripled in the last 3 months since I quit using 3M.

3MFAN, what Film are you selling now ......?

I was a loyal 3M dealer for years and when some people are negetive about 3M I just thought they had sour grapes.

I did well with 3M or so I thought, but then after getting to know them I didn't like some of thier business practices and I started offering other films, it was the silver lining in the cloud.

Once I started giving other options I realized all of the business I had been losing because I was priced out of the market with 3M. It out weighed what I did sell because of the 3M name. Most people didn't care what brand I sold, they bought because of my reputation. I am still using a name brand quality film but for about half the cost of 3M. I get better service and feel like they value my business.

I now hear they are having another large price increase. Not sure why they are so proud of themselves or thier product. But my business has tripled in the last 3 months since I quit using 3M.

3MFAN, what Film are you selling now ......?

Vista

Archived