ex 3M dealer still a fan

[/quote

How did it work out for them on the Challenger

1986? i wonder what your supplier was doing back then

I was a loyal 3M dealer for years and when some people are negetive about 3M I just thought they had sour grapes.

I did well with 3M or so I thought, but then after getting to know them I didn't like some of thier business practices and I started offering other films, it was the silver lining in the cloud.

Once I started giving other options I realized all of the business I had been losing because I was priced out of the market with 3M. It out weighed what I did sell because of the 3M name. Most people didn't care what brand I sold, they bought because of my reputation. I am still using a name brand quality film but for about half the cost of 3M. I get better service and feel like they value my business.

I now hear they are having another large price increase. Not sure why they are so proud of themselves or thier product. But my business has tripled in the last 3 months since I quit using 3M.

3MFAN, what Film are you selling now ......?

Vista

does vista have a new neutral option besides v-33? i spent my first decade of tinting putting vista up

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that this forum is very anti-3M, but I really have to question some of the comments. 3M film is by far not the least expensive film out there, but everyone knows that. What I really do not understand are the comments that 3M film is not a quality product. As I mentioned, I spent nearly a decade representing a film that is almost universally considered the best, or one of the best, window films manufactured. I still do believe that company makes a top quality product. However, I also feel that there is a total of 5 quality manufacturers in this industry. I wont name names, but I would include 3M as one of them. The claims that they make a low quality product and charge top dollar for it simply are not true. Is it more expensive than some of the others on my list....yes. However, when you take into account the doors that the 3M name opens up, I still think it is priced appropriately. :mad In addition, I am not sure what films are being compared, but 3M films are not 2 times the price of a competitor. I can even think of a couple product categories where 3M films are some of the best values available.

I also do not see any higher percentage of bad or warranty film from 3M than I saw at the other manufacturer that is held in such high regard. Again, I am not trying to bash anyone. Truth is that there are a handful of companies making good quality films in this industry. However, even if you assume quality parity among the top companies, the only brand that will be known in the marketplace is 3M.

This should be nothing new to anyone here. Name brand items always command a higher price than unknown brands. It is true of nearly any consumer product that you can name. Also true is that name brands often command a price premium against similar quality, lessor known competitors. Why do Samsung TVs sell for more than Sanyo? In some cases, both TVs are made side by side in the same factory in Asia using the same components. Sometimes the only difference is the casing and interface software. Even so, Samsung sells more TVs at a higher price, and they are considered better quality than Sanyo.

In closing, I do not want to get into a back and forth on this topic, so this is my last post on this thread. I am just trying to get some people to not be so single minded regarding the 3M brand. I know that it is the popular thing to do to bash 3M on this forum, but I encourage you to talk to all legitimate manufacturers and make up your own mind on what product suits you. My advice that I have shared here before is to find a quality product backed by top shelf support and service. It is up to you to determine what product checks those boxes for you in your geographic area of the country.

Good luck everyone. Go out and crush it in 2011! Opportunity is all around us. :money

Owners/ companies who are truly dedicated to 3M, that understand and are skilled how to market and sell their available products lines, know what 3M can do for a company in this industry. Enough said..

Owners/ companies who are truly dedicated to 3M, that understand and are skilled how to market and sell their available products lines, know what 3M can do for a company in this industry. Enough said..

:spit

I guess all other films are obsolete.

As 3M looses more and more market share by the day, they either don't have much reguard for the future of their film products or someone has fallen asleep at the wheel. More than ever the customer has become better informed about the "blind" items they purchase and forums just like this one help consumers weed through tricky marketing BS. Maybe that has something to do with the ones seeing increased market share ?

As 3M looses more and more market share by the day, they either don't have much reguard for the future of their film products or someone has fallen asleep at the wheel. More than ever the customer has become better informed about the "blind" items they purchase and forums just like this one help consumers weed through tricky marketing BS. Maybe that has something to do with the ones seeing increased market share ?

YES! I do ask a consumer to look up this forum from time to time, to see what the pro's say about "X" product. I would certainly carry 3M if it was worth its weight in name alone, but I dont. Same reason why I cant sell solar screens...I just dont believe in it.

Guest Retnitorp
As 3M looses more and more market share by the day,Tom how much of the window film market share has 3M lost ....? they either don't have much reguard for the future of their film products or someone has fallen asleep at the wheel. Why do you think this.....? More than ever the customer has become better informed about the "blind" items they purchase and forums just like this one help consumers weed through tricky marketing BS. Maybe that has something to do with the ones seeing increased market share ?

As 3M looses more and more market share by the day,Tom how much of the window film market share has 3M lost ....? they either don't have much reguard for the future of their film products or someone has fallen asleep at the wheel. Why do you think this.....? More than ever the customer has become better informed about the "blind" items they purchase and forums just like this one help consumers weed through tricky marketing BS. Maybe that has something to do with the ones seeing increased market share ?

Im guessing you are a MMM dealer or the like, so if you have your reps ear ask him/her to share the national year over year #s for the last few.

Guest Retnitorp
YES! I do ask a consumer to look up this forum from time to time, to see what the pro's say about "X" product. I would certainly carry 3M if it was worth its weight in name alone, but I dont. Same reason why I cant sell solar screens...I just dont believe in it.

TintJunkie, Do you just sell window film.....?

BTW I just received a P.O for a $ 60.000.00 3M Ultra 400 job ............. :spit ........... :money ........... :boogie ............ :D

Archived