Remote Start Actin Up.. Weird Prob

Guest ILAF1234

Guest ILAF1234

I got remote start put on a month or so ago. Everything had been goin fine, but every once in a while my truck key will quit working(I will turn the key and it will act as if the battery is dead or somethin), and I will have to use the remote start to get my truck running. The weird ass thing is, when I take it to the place where I had it installed, the bastard takes my keys out to my truck and somehow starts it up.

When he comes back in I ask him what he did differently, and he says that he did nothin, he just put the key in and started it up. I have had this problem twice and hes done the same thing both times. I know this is bullschtein, so what should I do next time this crap happens.

Thanks

Guest ILAF1234

It is a 99' Ford Ranger. It has the computer keys or whatever, you know the ones that you must have for make for like 80 dollars.

They said they had to use some kinda thing to bypass

they called it a 555F

thanks,

if there is any other details I need to include please let me know

in '99, the ranger went from a PATS key to a Securikey. The head is much smaller. It's the same as the newer Taurus', Explorer, and now the new F-150. If you have the new key, you need the 555S, not 555F. But these pieces always allow the key to work (when installed properly). If there's any way you can take a pic, let me know and I'll give you an exact answer of what's wrong. Your dash is very easy to remove. 4 7mm screws hold the plastic piece and the hood release. Then there should be 4 more 7mm screws (if I remember correctly) to remove the metal knee plate. If you feel like doing this yourself, let me know when you get this far.

what kind of remote start do you have?? if you have a directed piece, the 'starter kill' might be WORKING....what happens, is if installed properly, you lock the doors with the remote, then unlock with the key, and then no start....next time this happens, where the key doesn't start the truck, push unlock on your remote, then try it...if it works....then use the remote to unlock your doors, or have the shop turn off the 'security features' :rollin

the reason this happens, is the remote start works SIMILAR to an alarm in that there's sometimes a starter kill installed, and it cuts out the starter wire so that when the system is 'locked' (armed ?) the truck can't be started....if one unlocks the truck with the key in the door, the unit doesnt realize this and keeps the starter cut out....so when you unlock with the remote (disarm) is allows the starter to work. having the 'security features' turned off (if its a directed piece) will allow you to start it regardless. :rollin hopw this helps.

Archived