Did I Goof?

Guest davef

Great forum. :rollin

I have a few questions for the pros here. After several years of putting it off, I finally got my car windows tinted today. I was at a car dealership's service dept when I noticed a piece of glass with varying shades of tint (Bronze, Titanium, and Neutral). I said what the heck, let's go with the 35% Titanium. Now they don't do the work at the Infinity dealer, but sub it to a shop down the street.

(http://www.buzz-off.com/tinting.html) <== This is the shop. I paid $200, happy with job.

Well, I picked the car up at night - the tint had been done for several hours and like a jackass, I roll down the driver's window. Oops. Well, I rolled it back up. No apparent harm done. Question 1 - Did I just ruin the tint job? It didn't move or peel or anything.

Then I get home and find out I will be relocating to Maryland in 1 month due to a job transfer. :evileye Maryland tint law for cars says "May have aftermarket tint on any window except windshield, provided that the tinting material allows a minimum of 35% light transmission through the glass".

Yep, they did the windshield, (although it shaded lighter than rest of car). Specifically, they did this (not sure what it all means):

Film: Solar Guard from Bekaert Specialty Films

Film Type: HP Charcoal

Film Installation: Front Side Windows = Charcoal 32, Rear Side Windows = Charcoal 22, Back Window = Charcoal 22 (then they list corresponding roll numbers). Area for write-in of "Eyebrow" is blank.

Question 2 - Am I legal in Maryland? Do I go back to the shop and have them peel off windshield film? Or am I sweating something that either isn't often enforced or the tint isn't great enough to warrant attention?

Thanks for the help/advice and pardon my rambling.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think total windshield tinting was legal anywhere..but I'm not from the States :evileye

Basically..if what you had done is legal in the state you had it tinted in and your moving somewhere where it is not legal..the tintshop will most likely charge you to remove any film.

You're fine I think. Rolling the windows down early is harmless in most cases. Doesn't sound like they tinted the windshield, if they did, take it off. Relax..If they bust you for being 3% darker than accepted, have it taken off, and enjoy living in a land where common sense is thrown out the window.

Guest nautiboi73

are you positive that the windshield is tinted? I don't know of any proffessional shop that would do that. It might just looked tinted because the rest od the windows are darker. take it back to shop and have them either explain why they put it there or remove the tint. But I am sure that it is not tinted.

Film Installation:  Front Side Windows = Charcoal 32, Rear Side Windows = Charcoal 22, Back Window = Charcoal 22 Am I legal in Maryland? 

From what I've checked on the laws, your car IS illegally tinted for Maryland on the back doors and rear window. If 35% is the limit for your car then 22% is illegal no matter what window it is on. But the difference between 32 and 22 is minimal enough that you probably won't get harassed (I won't promise you anything...it depends on the cop)

I seriously doubt your windshield is tinted! Only Jackass-Illegal-Tinting-Hackshops do sh!t like that!

Yeah, doesn't sound like they tinted it, if they did, they're idiots
Bingo OT!

Guest Litespeeds

Thought you asked for TITANIUM 35% all around but they gave you Charcoal 22% on the rear and 32% on the sides. That shop didn't do what you asked them to do. :hmmm

Guest tintslut

Busted!!

All tint must be inspected by the DMV. Every tuesday and thursday before 10 am.

50% is what you need.

Be ready to pay for removal, and 5% sales tax on the

Blue book Value of your car.

Guest thetintshop
Thought you asked for TITANIUM 35% all around but they gave you Charcoal 22% on the rear and 32% on the sides.  That shop didn't do what you asked them to do. :hmmm

I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. :hmmm HP charcoal is quite a bit cheaper film than the titanium. maybe you should talk to you tinter and ask why he's selling you one film and installing another.

yep...that one blew right by me...that's what happens when you're a skim reader :hmmm my bad. Titanium is one thing...Charcoal is another. Completely different looks for the vehicle. Did you get what you paid for???

Archived