Upholstery glue

Guest Remy

Guest Remy

Hi All,

Been reading some of the older posts on this site. I need some help. I'm the type of guy who tries to do most things himself, not to just save money, but I enjoy learning new things. I am helping a buddy on his old plane interior. He pulled out all the old panels and had them recut in new 20/1000 Aluminum. He has leather for the sides and naugahyde for the headliner and sides. Also he has 1/4" fire retarding foam. We have been having problems with recovering the aluminum.

We put the aluminum sheet on the table, spray it with 3M glue, give it a couple of minutes, then put on it the 1/4"foam. Let it dry, then cut the vinyl and apply 3M 1300L glue on the egdes and try to cover. Looks good, but when you apply in the tracks, you get some vinyl that almost "bubbles or bulges" up, meaning it is not glued to the foam. I thought I would try a sample piece and glue the foam to the aluminum and then glue the vinyl to the foam, but that one seems to look like it has bulges in it. What am I doing wrong?

Am I using the right glues? One guy told me to use 3M 1357 glue. Do you brush glue on or spray it?

Another friend of mine told me that I should leave a 1/8" or 1/4" gap between the edge of the aluminum and the foam, meaning not to take the foam all the way to the edge. Thoughts?

After the headliner is done we will be doing sides in leather and foam. Anything else I need to do differently?

Appreciate all advice I get.

Remy

Guest Remy

Sorry forgot to mention, the 3M glue is aerosol can 3M 77 from Home depot.

Hi All,

Been reading some of the older posts on this site. I need some help. I'm the type of guy who tries to do most things himself, not to just save money, but I enjoy learning new things. I am helping a buddy on his old plane interior. He pulled out all the old panels and had them recut in new 20/1000 Aluminum. He has leather for the sides and naugahyde for the headliner and sides. Also he has 1/4" fire retarding foam. We have been having problems with recovering the aluminum.

We put the aluminum sheet on the table, spray it with 3M glue, give it a couple of minutes, then put on it the 1/4"foam. Let it dry, then cut the vinyl and apply 3M 1300L glue on the egdes and try to cover. Looks good, but when you apply in the tracks, you get some vinyl that almost "bubbles or bulges" up, meaning it is not glued to the foam. I thought I would try a sample piece and glue the foam to the aluminum and then glue the vinyl to the foam, but that one seems to look like it has bulges in it. What am I doing wrong?

Am I using the right glues? One guy told me to use 3M 1357 glue. Do you brush glue on or spray it?

Another friend of mine told me that I should leave a 1/8" or 1/4" gap between the edge of the aluminum and the foam, meaning not to take the foam all the way to the edge. Thoughts?

After the headliner is done we will be doing sides in leather and foam. Anything else I need to do differently?

Appreciate all advice I get.

Remy

Guest vinyldoctor
Maybe give the panel a good scuff. Just throwing out ideas.

That or there is a silicone finish on the material.

It sounds like it's not fully binding properly.

plus you need to use the proper cleaners for what you are gluing it to.

so something still has a silicone type finish on it.

It sounds like you are using the spray glue like it was elmers wood glue (apply glue put pieces togeather and wait to dry)

You need to be thinking more of a rubber cement type of application (apply glue to BOTH surfaces, wait until it dries well enough that it won't come off when you touch with your hand, stick 2 surfaces togeather)

Maybe I didn't read your post correctly.. :lol2

Guest vinyldoctor
It sounds like you are using the spray glue like it was elmers wood glue (apply glue put pieces togeather and wait to dry)

You need to be thinking more of a rubber cement type of application (apply glue to BOTH surfaces, wait until it dries well enough that it won't come off when you touch with your hand, stick 2 surfaces togeather)

Maybe I didn't read your post correctly.. :lol2

yeah glue both pieces, wait until they get sticky,

then just take them and stick them.

or go find a pro CA compound.

Guest sewing_guy

IMO spray cans are just for temp holding. I use DAP Weldwood Landau Top Adhesive sprayed with a paint spray gun for anything that needs to last. Both surfaces, let it dry completely to the touch and then reactivate using heat. This has allowed the gas to escape (the reason for the bubbling) and it makes a durable, permanent bond. If it is problems with just the overlap gluing to the back of the board, try getting some Weldwood Contact Adhesive from Wal mart. Brush it on both surfaces, and again, let it dry completely to the touch. Once it sticks down, it's permanent.

IMO spray cans are just for temp holding. I use DAP Weldwood Landau Top Adhesive sprayed with a paint spray gun for anything that needs to last. Both surfaces, let it dry completely to the touch and then reactivate using heat. This has allowed the gas to escape (the reason for the bubbling) and it makes a durable, permanent bond. If it is problems with just the overlap gluing to the back of the board, try getting some Weldwood Contact Adhesive from Wal mart. Brush it on both surfaces, and again, let it dry completely to the touch. Once it sticks down, it's permanent.

Righton. The dap glue is all I ever used doing upholstery work. That chit will tear the material apart before it let's go. :dunno

It is rather expensive for just a small project though.

Archived