How that's TB working out for you?

Usually, low end customers keep their cars FOREVER, while the higher end people turn over their cars often. If you think those low end types really don't care, wait a couple years, I bet you'll find they actually DO. I can't see the logic on having your name associated with crap in any way shape or form, and I never will.

To build on this, I have a guy who I tinted his whole brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee in CTX and Air Blue sunroofs and all, then a month later he could haul weeds in the Jeep so he went and traded it in on a new F250 crew cab that we tinted in Air Blue and CTX, then a few weeks later he shows up wanting the 3m stripped off of his CLS 63 AMG and more Air Blue and CTX. That's like 15 $100 tint jobs in a little more than 1 month. Another guy has Wincos on his Supra, Air Blue on the windshield of his rx450h, CTX on his Solara, and yesterday CTX and Air Blue on his new WRX. All of this in about a 6 month time frame and the equivalent of maybe 13 or so cheap ass tint jobs. So 2 of my customers have supplied me with the equivalent of 30 cheapo jobs in less than 6 months. Take that but then take in to account profit margins and word of mouth because I have already done some Air Blue jobs and other work for referrals for both of these people and they were "Go see these guys they are the cheapest" referrals. I suppose at the end of the day there are more than one way to skin a cat, I just prefer to skin a tiger and others prefer to skin a tabby.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not even offer a NON CS film and I am in crappy Cleveland Oh. Too many people come in with a negative attitude towards tint because so many shops use that tint and it is purple or clear in a few years. People here tend to keep cars longer here simply because they cant afford a new one. I use 2 films a color stable nr and a hp. Customers look at me with the wtf face when I tell them this tint job will not turn purple or bubble etc in 2 years. They are just used to it and think it is normal.

I do not even offer a NON CS film and I am in crappy Cleveland Oh. Too many people come in with a negative attitude towards tint because so many shops use that tint and it is purple or clear in a few years. People here tend to keep cars longer here simply because they cant afford a new one. I use 2 films a color stable nr and a hp. Customers look at me with the wtf face when I tell them this tint job will not turn purple or bubble etc in 2 years. They are just used to it and think it is normal.

What I always find interesting is that a lot of people believe their market will not support a high end film, yet when you walk in a wheel/stereo shop they always have the biggest wheels, the nicest full face stereo on offer. Why is that? Because no matter how gritty the area someone always wants the biggest, the best etc... its just easier to convey that a product is better when you can visually see a difference. That is the tough part about window film, to an untrained eye a cheap film looks the same as a high end film.

The most commonly repeated line to me from anyone who is beat up and down on the film business and upselling. "My market is different" Even though a shop a mile away seems to have no issues selling high end. Hmmm....

I think that customers these days dont care about what film there getting , they just care about the price there paying... I pay $20 for a 20x100 ft roll and $45 for a 36 x 100 ft roll... I offer the customer a liftime warranty on a higher end film. and I offer the customer a price on the lower grade film... no middle..... The price difference for the work performed is not that much and 99.9 percent they do not care about quality of film or warranty... They just ask... It will look great and professional no bubbles right??? And i say of course and do it and they leave happy... Its a shame but true.... The budget film will only last 2 to 4 years and by that time most people have a new car these day... Another reason why people dont worry about the higher end films...........I find on commercial goverment contracts as well as small business owners some do not care about quality... They care about price... And whats mest up is every govermnet job i do they actually say we do not care about the warranty or quality of film.... Because our tax dollars will pay to redo it every 3 years.... So its not just on auto...

If the person selling the service feels this way the customer will too, this is the message you are delivering to the end user. You are selling them that it is not a concern and that it will look good and last for the three years they plan to own their car, so they are buying that and are pleased with the result.

When all is perceived equal, the focus goes instantly to price. This is why it is key to help the end user understand what is and isn't equal.

Like The Man said, there are numerous ways to skin a cat. I know you are a very successful individual Ed, I respect your positive attitude and hustle. Its a shame all of you guys aren't closer I'd like to sit down and have a beer some time. :D

What I always find interesting is that a lot of people believe their market will not support a high end film, yet when you walk in a wheel/stereo shop they always have the biggest wheels, the nicest full face stereo on offer. Why is that? Because no matter how gritty the area someone always wants the biggest, the best etc... its just easier to convey that a product is better when you can visually see a difference. That is the tough part about window film, to an untrained eye a cheap film looks the same as a high end film.

The most commonly repeated line to me from anyone who is beat up and down on the film business and upselling. "My market is different" Even though a shop a mile away seems to have no issues selling high end. Hmmm....

Thats just it. I am s stereo shop that offers tint. About 3 miles away is the 99 tint/remote start etc shop. I may not do as many tint jobs but I do WAY more remote start installs. I tell my customers I do not play that game and only offer good products and installs. I find I do a lot more newer and nicer cars from an older crowd. I had a discussion with the 99 dollar guy and told him you have to do 2 cars to every one I do give or take to make the same money. He just didnt get it.

i thought TB was somewhat colour stable , uh ohhhh, tinted a few BORAL road paving trucks headed for western australia , on the bright side if i have comebacks i have a woman over there id like to meet up with haha

Archived