The new loss of business potential.

Anyone agree with me on this?

1. Business is definately lessened by all new car dealers now offering tinting at point of sale. This diminishes available retail that would have once sourced it direct via YP's or the like.

After market wares like tinting are easily absorbed into the finance deal and become more convienient for the buying customer to get it all done before they take delivery.

2. Far more people in the business now than many years before therefore what retail is out there is spread more sparcely.

3. Then what retail is left is phone shopped to death because of tint hizzos.

4. To get the calls, massive outlays in YP's is a neccessity but that eats up after tax/cost profits big time and even then success is little assured.

5. Tinting has a slow turn around which can take 3,4,5 years before your same customer buys again and each day it seems to be a bigger strain to get new jobs through the door.

Anyone find any of these points similar from across the waves?

The good old days are long gone IMO.

Devil

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TintMiester

I think all your points are valid.

I'm a one owner-operator, so my costs are low, with no labor rates, and I have low overhead in my shop, so it's not huring me too much. Plus, I do the tinting for several of the dealers in my area, so that is a steady (If not lucrative) source of income to keep the bills paid.

With adding Clear-Bra work, I'm making more $$ from that than from tinting at this point, but there are no guarantees...

Guest tintmomma

We are in the second year of our business. We started doing cars and found that it was too much of a hassle and so much competition. Now we only do flat glass, less jobs making more money per job. So why don?t you think about expanding.

I have to think the exact opposite is true

More and more cars are being sold each year which means more and more customers needing tint.

People 10-15 years ago bought a car and kept it 10 years the wouldn't put any money into their vechile until the loan was payed and they owned it. now with leasing its 3-5 year turn around and people want everything done the day the pick up thier car

50% of my Cust (retail cust) are repeat and referrals. Every year more and more people calling in the summer may- sept I find myself turning cust away because im just to busy to get everyone done. People tell that once the have tinted glass they will never drive a car without it again(Good News)

Every day when im driving I look around at all the cars that dont have film on them (potental work) and all the film ats going bad (future work) and say this is a business that getting bigger every day

We are in the second year of our business. We started doing cars and found that it was too much of a hassle and so much competition. Now we only do flat glass, less jobs making more money per job. So why don?t you think about expanding.

Momma,

Yes I have seen that wave coming for quite a long time and luckily for me I have already spread into that direction.

Devil

Guest expertint

I agree with you to totally Devil..My YP is 2000 per mo...rent 2000 per mo and there is alot of competition in So. Cal..I pay taxes on employees and when it all adds up I work hard and not much money left for me.All your ideas are valid here.

The good old days are long gone IMO :lol

Devil, sorry hard to undertstand long sentences :) - but last phrase I understand completely and I agree. Really don't remeber tint biz some 20 years ago (I was struggling with imperialism this time in Soviet Army) - but here old good days (like 10 years ago) when I make 15-20 cars per day gone :):):lol6 But for me thisday situation is more interesting then earlier, when I was simple dealer - I can make market by myself... Only I am not so rich how LluLlu ar BSF - but I will change world market :mad:lol Stay in touch REFLECTIVE RED tint ARE COMING :lol:lol:confuse

I agree with you to totally Devil..My YP is 2000 per mo...rent 2000 per mo and there is alot of competition in So. Cal..I pay taxes on employees and when it all adds up I work hard and not much money left for me.All your ideas are valid here.

Wowee Zowee.....That's a lot of bloody film to go up before you start making a dime EX.

Devil

Guest Icon

Yes I Agree with you Devil Tail. Back about 3-4 years ago the shop that I worked for was booked a week in advaced. There was too much work to handle. When the customer call for a priced 90% of the time the booked in there car right then. Now it seems that I still have room to get cars in that day or the next. And now when a customer calls they are just checking prices, they dont want to book.

Guest Marge

It seems that since the dealerships are offering tint directly to consumers, that dealerships would be the way to go in obtaining new business. It would stand to reason that if you do a good job on dealership cars, you're going to get a steady supply of referrals and pre-sale cars to tint.

Our shop does mostly dealership cars and their referrals. We treat them right and we stay in business. :thumb

Archived