ever had one of those days!!

Guest naughtydog

Guest naughtydog

Today I thought I would apply some of my recently learned tinting skills on my wifes car (she's moaned about it not being tinted for ages!!)

It a fiat punto - it's an Italian POS

119.jpg

I had heard that the latest models( mine is a 99) had very tight window seals. Boy are these tight. You struggle to push a lil chizler into the window channel on one side. Anyway, I had a play with some different ways of mounting my film, liner half off, liner fully off, panel on, panel off and can safely say I wasted a sh!t load of film ( I got some failed QC stuff from my rep) and at the end of the day I learned things!!

On this vehicle, the windows move a lot when rolling down so I cut a few pieces and they did'nt get to the edge of the glass when mounted and looked pretty sh!t when rolling the windows down( they looked OK when fully up). I found it was best to cut my pattern with the window half down, cut the top and sides and then mark the bottom and cut on my glass wall. Because the side rubbers are sooohhh tight, I had to tuck them in with a hard card and have only a mill or 2 of film into the seal, a real pain in the ass for a newbie like myself. These are about the worst roll down I have ever had the pleasure of working on.

I still struggle to get a clean cut along my top edge as I have'nt quite mastered the angle of the cut, it always ends a little bit dodgy in one place or another...I am moving away from filing windows at the top so neeed to practise this top cut more.

Any tips on this anybody?? :booga

Thanks

Naughtydog

Guest Tint Wiz

Yea pull top pannel away from door and pull the seal out of the door from the side where it is tight and tint it that way glass moves about a bit but its better than being to tight :dunno

Guest naughtydog

I was having a play like that...took the panel off but my cuts were'nt correct as I did'nt take into account the amount of movement. I think with the seal out of the way you would have to wait for the film to be well dry before refitting it.

Have you done a new punto and are they the same/similar

ND

Would'nt mind a meet up some day - do you have premises??

Guest Tint Wiz

Have done a few about 20 or so mainly 3 doors , you have to dry film very well first to put seal back or off it comes ,the new ones are the same beats me why they are like that my mate who worked for fiat garge and hated them,

yes I think you need premises to do our job properly

Guest SQUEEGEE
I still struggle to get a clean cut along my top edge as I have'nt quite mastered the angle of the cut, it always ends a little bit dodgy in one place or another...

N.D.,

Once your knife gets moving smoothly through the tint keep your hand steady and don't second guess the motion. By that I mean don't speed up or slow down - this is where things get dodgy if you're unsure. It has to be a clean uniform sweep.

Hope this bit of advice helps.

Good luck.

just like squeeg said for cutting top edge...get a piece of scrap film, then apply to outside, squeegee in place, then just cut a top edge, then move it up a little, cut another one, and keep doing it till you get the hang of it :lol6

Archived