portable ac units?

So I have finally decided to ac my garage where I do my tinting at and I was wondering if anybody has used one of these portable ac units? I was leaning toward the regular window unit 15000 btu for about 400 then I saw the portable one that is 13000 with heat for 500. By the way I'm trying to cool about 400 sq feet.

So I have finally decided to ac my garage where I do my tinting at and I was wondering if anybody has used one of these portable ac units? I was leaning toward the regular window unit 15000 btu for about 400 then I saw the portable one that is 13000 with heat for 500. By the way I'm trying to cool about 400 sq feet.

Portable unit's BTU ratings are always... exaggerated. I have an OLD 10,000 BTU window unit that works significantly better than my girlfriends new 12,000 BTU portable AC/heater/dehumidifier.

There's charts you can look up online for square footage... but for a shop with a big bay door that opens several times a day I'd go large and in charge. Get the biggest freaking window one you can IMO (since it's a small enough space for a window one).

And of those choices, I'd go for the window unit hands down.

Edited by justn8

I agree competely, I have a roll around, it is way overated. I put a split mini in my garage at home, it has heat. It costs more than a window unit though. Are your walls and garage door insulated? If not, you will need alot more btu's to try to keep it comfortable.

The walls are insulated I'm not sure about the door, but I don't think it is. Only trouble is either way I have to knock a hole in the wall and put a window in.

I have a soleus LX140 14000btu roll around and it works ok in the garage. If anything it takes a lot of the humidity out. I put in a drier vent hole in the garage, since they use 5" hose for the intake and exhaust.

you can insulate the door yourself if its the panel type. Lowes sells the 1 inch thick board for 12 bucks a sheet. With a split mini system, you drill a hole thru the wall, I did mine down low, and run the hoses from the inside unit to the outside unit. Look them up on ebay. Split mini air conditioner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24000-BTU-Air-Conditio...t-/120718131388

On 7/8/2011 at 10:17 AM, jh812 said:

So I have finally decided to ac my garage where I do my tinting at and I was wondering if anybody has used one of these portable ac units? I was leaning toward the portable ac units 10000 btu for about 400 then I saw the portable one that is 13000 with heat for 500. By the way I'm trying to cool about 400 sq feet.

For 400 sq feet, portables above 10000btu can cool down in less time. As long as you choose something over 10000btu, the portable air conditioner with automatic evaporation system is very suitable for the house that can't put the hose out of the window.

I have 2 of the roll around units, they are adequate.  hot summer day, hot black truck, kinda hard to combat that.  I cut a hole in the ceiling and vented them up in the attic.

We bought and return 3 lower btu units to Hone Depot this summer.  We are finally satisfied with the 12000 btu  Toshiba.  It has rollers but the hose is connected to the wall.  No problems yet. Its been about 2 months.  The filter must be cleaned weekly which is simple to do.  I throw a few fabric softners in to refreshen up the room.