OK Ive seen enough what gives!

Guest MRRCGUY

Guest MRRCGUY

OK in the two years Ive been in the game I have been wondering why most every installer in my area leaves such large gaps at the top of roll ups.

Its so easy to make it look so much better. Since day one my standard has always been to allow no more than 1/16th inch gap and I shoot for none at all. However out of the seven shops within my immediate area all but one seems to always leave like 1/4" gaps. Am I missing something here? Am I going to one day start getting returns because of peeling at the top? Or, are they just sloppy? I dont get it.

a 1/16 is fine. I like to leave about that or less. I never take it all the way to the edge. I know alot of guys here like to shave doors, but I have seen them start to roll back after many years. Probably after they are out of warranty. But a gap smaller then 1/16 is hard to see anyway. I keep mine to about that, and never have had a peeling problem. :dunno

Its all personal preference. Most customers out there will not notice a difference or care

I disagree, I leave about a 1/16 or less as well, and I've had multiple customers tell me that what they really liked about my work was the barely noticeable gap at the top.

Its all personal preference. Most customers out there will not notice a difference or care

I disagree, I leave about a 1/16 or less as well, and I've had multiple customers tell me that what they really liked about my work was the barely noticeable gap at the top.

I dont understand, leaving a gap is ugly, all you do heat the top for ages and shave the top, looks so much more better and aslong as your film is good it wont peel, unless you dig a knife under it.

I never take it all the way to the edge. I know alot of guys here like to shave doors, but I have seen them start to roll back after many years.

If done correctly, there is no difference between a shaved and gapped edge. I have had only 1 door come back in 7 years because of a peeled edge. I don't think that it was a install issue either, but a custy issue. :twocents

Archived