Help With Security Film/Install in New Home (Los Angeles)

Guest kniksefat

Guest VOLTRON

You mentioned in your initial post that the windows are not tempered, if that is the case then an attachment is not as important on annealed glass as it is on tempered. I AM NOT saying you dont need an attachment system, annealed glass will hold in the frame ALOT better then tempered will. Tempered will break around frame and fall out in 1 big piece, which is not ideal although it will NOT be easier then an untreated window as the glass will fall to the floor with very minimal effort, it will take more effort to push the glass out with the film on it. Again I AM NOT saying you dont need an attachment rather I am saying how the glass and film combinations will work with different types of glass. An attachment system is ALWAYS going to give you higher level of security and they are always recommended.

Guest VOLTRON

As for what an attachment system is there are many different types, but they all are designed to do the same thing which is attach the film and glass to the frame of the window for a better level of security. There is metal attachments, silicone attachments, vinyl attachments and probably a few more.

Guest kniksefat

Thanks for all the info. I stopped by the house this weekend and checked out of the windows. In general, it looks like about 50% of the windows are original. It all appears to be 1/8" glass. The original glass appears to largely be in stationary panes whereas the actual casement windows appears to have largely been replaced over the years.

The exception is the doors (wood frame with a full length pane of glass in the center). These appear to be slightly thicker and it appears that all of this glass was replaced at some point (still don't think it's tempered; at least can't confirm).

With the exception of one window, the windows have no cross bars, so they are all a single pane of glass from edge to edge.

Kave

Guest VOLTRON

To confirm the glass is tempered there will be a stamp on the glass in one of the corners that says tempered. The stamp will notate that it is something other they just plate or annealed glass. On the wood frame doors there is a limit to types of attachments and they wont be as affective as with metal frames. Just to keep you informed.

Archived