Car Stereo Shop Bringing Tinting In-House

Guest jcoe

Hey Everybody,

I am new to this forum and tinting. I own a car stereo shop in Virginia, and have been in the car stereo industry for 12 yrs. I have been "Tinting" on and off for 2 yrs. I recently went to a class on auto tinting and learned a lot. My shop has been "outsourcing" our tint work to another company who does very good work. That situation was a short lived venture, because the Tinter I was using ended up "taking" a few of my customers to make a long story short. I can humbly accept the fact that I "was" the middle man, and got cut out of the deal. This motivated me to bring the work in- house. I hired a new kid who and took him to the class with me. Now here we are greenhorns trying to humbly learn as much as possible about this industry, all while making industry friends and keeping our customers happy. Fortunately we have GREAT relationships with our customers and they let us "try" new things on their vehicles.

We are currently trying to decide which film to carry. We have received samples from a number of companies, and have taken notes on; how it cuts, stiffness, TSER, adhesive, color, shrinking, and personal preference. We have tried Maxpro HP and CP, Suntek HP , Infiniti, and Carbon, Johnson Renegade and Marathon, Advantage (aegis) hp and Raven, and LLumar ATR. All of these are Sellable, Usable, and Discussable films. I have read a LOT of your posts and am anxious to get all of YOUR opinions. As of now my favorite 3 films are Suntek Carbon, Johnson Marathon, Advantage HP.

My Questions are probably "simple" to you all, but priceless to me. As I continue this journey I hope to get both positive and negative feedback from all of you. At this time I am very aware of my limitations on my new skill sets. Prime example, customer walks in with a 2000 Taurus Station Wagon, I quoted him and called the "other guy" to do the work. I am very particular about the quality of work that leaves my shop in regards to our detailing, 12volt, and fabrication, and I will not let our tinting slack on quality. Eventually I would lie to bring a more experienced tinter on board, but that would not allow me to grasp a better understanding of the ups and downs of tinting. I just dont want to be the boss that doesn't know jack about the work that is done, so I figured what better way to understand something other than doing it. Thanks I look forward to absorbing all of your lessons, opinions, replies. Take Care All.

- Cool

" Competition Breeds Efficiency "

Hey Everybody,

I am new to this forum and tinting. I own a car stereo shop in Virginia, and have been in the car stereo industry for 12 yrs. I have been "Tinting" on and off for 2 yrs. I recently went to a class on auto tinting and learned a lot. My shop has been "outsourcing" our tint work to another company who does very good work. That situation was a short lived venture, because the Tinter I was using ended up "taking" a few of my customers to make a long story short. I can humbly accept the fact that I "was" the middle man, and got cut out of the deal. This motivated me to bring the work in- house. I hired a new kid who and took him to the class with me. Now here we are greenhorns trying to humbly learn as much as possible about this industry, all while making industry friends and keeping our customers happy. Fortunately we have GREAT relationships with our customers and they let us "try" new things on their vehicles.

We are currently trying to decide which film to carry. We have received samples from a number of companies, and have taken notes on; how it cuts, stiffness, TSER, adhesive, color, shrinking, and personal preference. We have tried Maxpro HP and CP, Suntek HP , Infiniti, and Carbon, Johnson Renegade and Marathon, Advantage (aegis) hp and Raven, and LLumar ATR. All of these are Sellable, Usable, and Discussable films. I have read a LOT of your posts and am anxious to get all of YOUR opinions. As of now my favorite 3 films are Suntek Carbon, Johnson Marathon, Advantage HP.

My Questions are probably "simple" to you all, but priceless to me. As I continue this journey I hope to get both positive and negative feedback from all of you. At this time I am very aware of my limitations on my new skill sets. Prime example, customer walks in with a 2000 Taurus Station Wagon, I quoted him and called the "other guy" to do the work. I am very particular about the quality of work that leaves my shop in regards to our detailing, 12volt, and fabrication, and I will not let our tinting slack on quality. Eventually I would lie to bring a more experienced tinter on board, but that would not allow me to grasp a better understanding of the ups and downs of tinting. I just dont want to be the boss that doesn't know jack about the work that is done, so I figured what better way to understand something other than doing it. Thanks I look forward to absorbing all of your lessons, opinions, replies. Take Care All.

- Cool

To clear up any confusion I "will" bring on a more experienced tinter eventually.

" Competition Breeds Efficiency "

Guest CZtint

speaking about film

I am doing suntek HP line for 7 years with ease, but its in europe, in USA ppl tend to use llumar, johnson and global a lot, some hanita too,

speaking to my exclusive distributor for czech, it seems situation in EU is very different to one in USA, as Suntek is making a boom in eastern europe while USA tend to slow, our problem is not much dealership of other brands apart from Llumar in EUrope, at least here in Czech.

I can say I am happy with Suntek in color, shrinking and color stability, scratching is ok, altough I was reading you can scratch it even with T-shirt, which I had to laugh on, as I have 0% problems with scratches.

I am sorry I cannot give you any other feedback in matter of films.

and one small advice, keep you quality high and dont feel ashamed to send customer to more experienced tinter if you feel you cannot do precise job, its not shame, its clever, if you mess it up you will look like idiot.

CZ

Many have often asked what is the best film? I like to ask what is the most profitable film. one that looks good installs easy and doesnt come back. after many years and many suppliers i am now a sungard dealer. looks good, lifetime warranty and the nr series shrinks like crazy. I use the hp series for a leg up on the competition and turn most cars in 45min to an hour. i do have a clean prep person for me. i am getint to old and lazy to clean up behind myself. plus it saves 20 min per job as well as my back so i can do more cars per day

Many have often asked what is the best film? I like to ask what is the most profitable film. one that looks good installs easy and doesnt come back. after many years and many suppliers i am now a sungard dealer. looks good, lifetime warranty and the nr series shrinks like crazy. I use the hp series for a leg up on the competition and turn most cars in 45min to an hour. i do have a clean prep person for me. i am getint to old and lazy to clean up behind myself. plus it saves 20 min per job as well as my back so i can do more cars per day

What good is a lifetime warranty when the company has 3 owners in 4 years?

Guest abc40kids

I stock Suntek HP ( rarely used anymore ) Suntek Carbon and Suntek CXP used daily. I'm also a Huper Optik dealer and use there ceramic film on cars occasionally. I do enough volume with Suntek that they do not sell anyone else in my area.

You should check out your area, don't use what others are using, pick a good quality film and seperate yourself from the others( price and quality ) It's ok to be the most expensive if you can back it up with cs and it sounds like you have that already with your stereo business.

My partner and myself own two shops and neither of us tint windows. We do alot more than tint but 10 years ago I was in your shoes with a tinter I was sending work to that decided to expand his business which is fine but I couldn't send him anymore business while he was trying to do other things that I do. Long story short I have 5 tinters now and own the shop I used to send work to, funny how things work out.

Get you a good installer and take care of him and you'll both be happy, you already have the right customers. I have at least 3 other small shops near me tinting and all using Global or other low end films..... yes we have used the free samples of these films and no we didn't like them. Even if these Global type films were decent I would never want my shop to be associated with some of these shops that do.

Good luck with your new endeavor, hope it works out!

Archived