non-tempered windows

have a customer who a 4 windows he wants tinted on an addition. he wanted it as dark as his brothers windows i had done a while back which is johnsons sv10. 2 windows measure 54"x28" and the other 2 are 2 sets of 30"x28". had the film and quoted a price. well went to do them and come to the realization that the labeling i saw in the corner said nothing about it being tempered glass, so now im wondering if this is too dark of film to install. what is the darkest you would go on these windows being non-tempered?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea i called johnsons about it but the gal that answered didnt really know much except whats on the website. it was a pain trying to get through last week while their phone lines were screwed up. i guess now would be a good time to switch companies like i have been wanting too.

Guest filmslayer

with old dual panes i'd say the seals are already shot . unless there is a shading issue he should be fine . but still , check with supplier , their pockets are deeper ...

with old dual panes i'd say the seals are already shot . unless there is a shading issue he should be fine . but still , check with supplier , their pockets are deeper ...

Since SV10 has lower absorption and high reflectivity I would guess this film is approved for single and dual pane glass (tempered or not). I would however not suggest placing a dark non reflective film on DP glass simply because its old and the seals might already be busted. You would leave an end user with no glass breakage warranty and the chance for a poor experience with window film.

Ask your rep to send you a copy of their film to glass checklist, super helpful to have readily available.

In addition to getting a F-2-G chart, get a film book from them if you don't have one already.

SV10 - VLT - 10%

SER - 81%

VLR - Ext. 54%

Int. 24%

Solar Absorption - 38%

I don't have a F-2-G chart... which I'll have to get one now that I'm thinking about it....

But... 54% ext. reflect... and a 38% absorption... I'm going to guess it's probably safe.

Archived