Chevy headliner loose... Suggestions?

My grandfather has a '92 Chev truck, it's in mint shape, and his headliner fabric has let go on one side and now it's just a big pocket. Anybody know what to do about this? Anything I could do myself to help him out? Or what kind of shop I should look for if it's something that should be done by a pro? Just thought I'd ask as a favour to him. It's a nice truck and that just started happening and looks like junk :dunno

Get some aerosol contact adhesive, 3m makes a nice one (see, they are good for something).

Pull it down from the closest edge, some trim may have to come off.

Hit both surfaces, drink a beer, then gently replace it like you are sticking a dry graphic (from inside to where you pulled it loose).

Be sure to let it dry to be tacky before you push it back.

Good excuse for that second beer! :beer

Another option would be to go to a fabric store and buy new headliner material and replace it using the same technique Katz described. That would give it a nice clean even look. If you just glue it back up the area that had fallen will look bad because the foam backing has most likely disentigrated. For the truck you may be able to do it for well under $30. You should pull the healiner out and get as much of the old off.

I'm gonna tell you like we tell so may others. Take it too a professional.

Kats that 3M glue you are talking about is crap and any upholstery man would agree with me. You need some dap weldwood spray glue, and an old paint gun to properly redo a headliner.

Honestly Justin if you are comfortable removing the headliner board from the truck. I would recommend you doing that and just taking the board to a professional to have it recovered. Then you can reinstall the board yourself. This should save you a few dollars by saving the upholstery man a bit of time on the removal and install.

However you might just want to price having the whole thing done all together. When I was doing upholstery back in the day. We charged arouns $125 for doing a truck. :beach

Now whatever you do don't try to reglue that old materail backup. You will just make it worse on the guy who has to fix it right. And depending on how rough the glue you use is could really screwup the headliner board. :zzz

I know what C2C said, but consider it is a '92. I am not sure with that truck, but if you take the trim pieces and the light and visors, any other connection points should be visible. Not sure if it tucks under anything, but usually they are not that difficult to get out. Just consider how old it is and it may be flimsy, try not to break or bend it.

balzy got it , but ya have to get ALL the old foam off ...

:bat

Been doing 'em for years... Nice add on, I can do one in half the time to tint a car and make close to the same $$..

Just scrape the foam anywhere near where you're tinting...

I wouldn't suggest just peeling the edge down and spraying glue for a quickfix...

The rest is just gonna fall down later and you'll have that extra glue to deal with.

Archived