How involved is your 'system'?

I've been helping a fellow tinter of mine and I was wondering what everyone does as far as their 'system' - specifically when it comes to inventory and keeping track of every expense with regards to film.

Obviously I can't get into details, and I'm not asking for others details, but I will say for myself... I only do flat glass, and I don't really keep much in terms of an inventory. Couple boxes here and there...

Does everyone keep track of all the details, or more just general figures...

I know it's kindof a super wide question since I'm not looking for specifics...... but I am curious. I know the shop I used to work for was probably the largest flat-glass dealer in my area and he didn't keep track of anything. (Probably still doesn't) I would bet my life that if he did, he could have made SO much more money.... but the way he operated his business was just very non-detailed. He made a lot of money... but he couldn't give you a break down in say how much he had in inventory sitting in his shop, how much he was paying for the film, what part was shipping, what his profit margin was, etc.

Great subject,

I see so many areas where a shop could better utilize themselves by putting some attention on these items.

Since part of my major had a lot to do with the automotive parts industry my mind just works that way with inventory etc...

Just one example, if you pay by check you probably are incurring a $9 COD fee on each order.

Switch it to a CC with mileage points, take your family on a trip every year courtesy of your business expenses.

We stock the staples. There is always 1000 sf of white frost on the shelf as well as silvers, black out, and other film we use every day. I do not know exactly how much there is ininvintory but it is somewhere in the 20-25 k s/f range. As the material is used on the job we have a log on the box end where we account for usage. Unless it is something really odd,we toss rolls with less than 10 feet on them.

Some time ago our shop got interested in the Tintventory system. I inquired here and got some positive feedback. I passed on the comments to the decision makers. While setting up for rolls that weren't in its database already took some doing it has been a great help to our team. We have found it accurate to 2 feet or less.

While we still expect our team to keep an accurate account of material used there is no guess work as far as what is on the roll when it goes out the door. We haven't had to send more film to a job due to "short" rolls in months. It was a weekly occurrence before.

I keep a lot of marketing materials , and some working stock . Not nearly as much as i once did though with the economy the way it is . As far as keeping track of my inventory , I label the boxes as to how much film is left on each roll after each job. I also keep all of my inventory and roll numbers on spread sheets, so I can pull a roll up pretty quick if I have a problem with the materials, or if I need to file a warranty.

lol, I open the box, look at the roll of film and say, yeah I got a few cars left. I try to keep 2 rolls of each type of film on hand, just in case.

Pretty much my system, though there have been a couple times where I was down to the last foot on a car, lol.

The films we use most frequently, we maintain at least 100 ft per size on hand. All films that go below this, go on our order sheet. These are re-ordered as needed.

We have an inventory book of every film we have in stock. Once a job has a go ahead and purchase order has been issued, we take it out of inventory immediately, then we schedule the job.

If I would have to take a guess, we have approximately 300-400 different rolls of film in stock.

If I would have to take a guess, we have approximately 300-400 different rolls of film in stock.

I know of a shop that purposely puts all his old film boxes back on his storage rack so when reps come in they think he buys huge volume. Its pretty smart until you notice all of them have partial roll stickers on them...

Archived