Tinting vs Low E glass

Guest Happs

Guest Happs

I have single pane sliding aluminum windows in my upstairs living room that are 38 years old with clear glass. The two windows are 106"X58" and 82"x58" I don't know whether to

1) Keep the existing windows and tint them with a tint like Madico TSG-335 or SB-341 that doesn't have mirrored look to where I can see out well and still enjoy the view, while protecting my furniture and reducing heat in the summer.

2) Buying brand new dual pane aluminum or vinyl windows (still undecided) with NO low e glass; just clear glass and then have window tint applied.

3) Buy new windows with Low E glass and don't tint.

4) Buy new windows with Low E glass and tinting them.

Does the age of the window matter in how well the tint holds up? Does low E glass replace window tinting and is it better overall to tint a clear glass window or one with Low E glass? When I'm shopping around for windows and tell people I don't want Low E glass, they are surprised and ask why. I say I want to be able to choose the window tint and the applicator and that I have no idea about the specifications, properties or how the Low E glass was applied. They usually reply by saying I won't save much by not getting Low E glass and that I will void the warranty (which is true but doesn't bother me since there are so many exclusions on them anyways).

I would be interested in hearing suggestions from the window tinting community on tinting new vs old windows and Low e glass.

I have single pane sliding aluminum windows in my upstairs living room that are 38 years old with clear glass. The two windows are 106"X58" and 82"x58" I don't know whether to

1) Keep the existing windows and tint them with a tint like Madico TSG-335 or SB-341 that doesn't have mirrored look to where I can see out well and still enjoy the view, while protecting my furniture and reducing heat in the summer.

2) Buying brand new dual pane aluminum or vinyl windows (still undecided) with NO low e glass; just clear glass and then have window tint applied.

Does the age of the window matter in how well the tint holds up? Does low E glass replace window tinting and is it better overall to tint a clear glass window or one with Low E glass? When I'm shopping around for windows and tell people I don't want Low E glass, they are surprised and ask why. I say I want to be able to choose the window tint and the applicator and that I have no idea about the specifications, properties or how the Low E glass was applied. They usually reply by saying I won't save much by not getting Low E glass and that I will void the warranty (which is true but doesn't bother me since there are so many exclusions on them anyways).

I would be interested in hearing suggestions from the window tinting community on tinting new vs old windows and Low e glass.

Hi Happs,

I see you've posted here a few times with window film questions. Is this in regards to your place in San Diego or Arizona?

Guest Happs

Hi Happs,

I see you've posted here a few times with window film questions. Is this in regards to your place in San Diego or Arizona?

San Diego.

Hi Happs,

San Diego.

Well howdy neighbor.

Where about in San Diego? I'm in Oside by the beach.

To answer your first question, yes and no. The glass itself will not matter based on age but the frame surrounding the glass needs to be in good condition and not allowing air to pass through it. We can make that single pane glass very efficient but if the frame is not then we aren't making the right choice.

Another important thing to consider is your end goal from this project. Is is glare reduction, heat reduction, holding heat in during the winter, fade protection etc... I think its helpful if we know what the goals are so that a solid recommendation can be made.

I see you have posted several times in the past about window film and how it could be used in your home/car, just curious did you ever move forward with any of those projects and if so how did they turn out? Were you satisfied?

Guest Happs

Hi Happs,

San Diego.

Well howdy neighbor.

Where about in San Diego? I'm in Oside by the beach.

To answer your first question, yes and no. The glass itself will not matter based on age but the frame surrounding the glass needs to be in good condition and not allowing air to pass through it. We can make that single pane glass very efficient but if the frame is not then we aren't making the right choice.

Another important thing to consider is your end goal from this project. Is is glare reduction, heat reduction, holding heat in during the winter, fade protection etc... I think its helpful if we know what the goals are so that a solid recommendation can be made.

I see you have posted several times in the past about window film and how it could be used in your home/car, just curious did you ever move forward with any of those projects and if so how did they turn out? Were you satisfied?

I am in North County as well. The goal for this project is glare reduction and fade protection, especially from the bright morning sun, since the windows face east. I purchased a transparent mylar pull down shade that I use in the morning and when I am away that does the job in reducing the sun's glare and allows me to watch television. It's functional but not the most esthetic product. It also bangs against the window if there is a breeze. I had two large west facing windows tinted at my house in Arizona with Madico SB341 and it helped a lot in heat reduction (primary goal for that project) and also made it easier on eyes to look out the window on bright sunny day. Very satisfied with the end result from that project and that's what led me to consider tinting in San Diego and then ask those questions about window replacement as it relates to tinting.

I had a car tinted with Solargard HP Charcoal 35 in 2004 and the driver's side door formed this curved strip/line of peeled-up tint after 9,000 miles of driving. It looked kind of like what would happen if you don't press down on adhesive tape fully--there are areas that curve up. Well imagine a curve-up line on tint along the window. I got it re-tinted for free, but still didn't expect that to happen. Hence, my preference for Madico vs Solargard.

Guest filmslayer

auto films are completely different than flat glass . dont compare apples to bananas ... there are a lot of really good films out there and with your single panes you can use just about any of them ...

Happs,

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the film issue with HPC, it could be film or installer related no real way to tell but regardless as the mfg rep for SolarGard in Southern California my apologies for the poor experience.

So what kind of condition is the glass/frame in? My house has aluminum framed single pane windows and if they are anything like mine they are terrible, I would only suggest window film on those as a temporary until quality vinyl dual pane windows were installed. That being said, I would probably go with 1/4" commercial grade dual pane clear windows and have a film of my choice installed.

Have you found a qualified installer yet in the area? I would be happy to make a suggestion if you like, your right in my back yard.

:twocents

Archived