Scratched glass

Guest 04yfz

Guest 04yfz

So I just had my car tinted, and was happy with the outcome overall besides two issues. One was a small problem area, this is what concerns me more as it does not look repairable. The drivers side window has several deep scratches parallel with the edge of the window. Doing some searches here I have read that this can be caused by a dull blade or one not broken clearly. I am positive this was not there because I cleaned all glass very thoroughly prior to taking my car to tint.

Let me know what you guys think, here are some pics. The scratches are fairly deep and easily catch a nail when moving across them. My tinter said that the blades he uses don't scratch glass, but I know this was not there prior to the tint.

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3710-1.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3710-1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell one way or the other if those are blade marks. What I WILL say, is before Your windows are tinted, You tend not to see scratches that are on the glass, because Your eyes focus past the surface of the glass, to the inside of the vehicle. Once the film is installed, the darker color of the windows makes a white scratch MUCH more visible, and Your eyes focus on the surface of the glass, not through it. That being said, a tinter KNOWS if He scratched Your glass or not. A sharp Olfa blade tends not to scratch glass. A dull one, or one with a piece of dirt trapped under it will score the glass surface.

To Me those look like rub marks from the window going up and down....but I'm not there to actually see it.

Looks like something has been rubbing on the glass as

A) He would have used the side edge of the glass to cut that pattern and not cut against the glass

B) he would have had to try and cut it that deep (and still probably couldn't) and that many times

C) :dunno

But yeah, he didn't scratch it, it was most likely there and not noticeable until you put something black behind it. Think about it, the scratches don't line up to anything on the tint.

and we normally dont razor blade the outside of the glass. we do razor blade the inside to clean it.

like others have said, normally you just dont notice the scratches until the tint is applied.

looks like scratches from rolling the window up and down.

i bet if you put your finger nail at the bottom of the glass where it starts and then roll the window down. the scratch will stay where your finger is

Guest 04yfz
Looks like something has been rubbing on the glass as

A) He would have used the side edge of the glass to cut that pattern and not cut against the glass

B) he would have had to try and cut it that deep (and still probably couldn't) and that many times

C) :dunno

But yeah, he didn't scratch it, it was most likely there and not noticeable until you put something black behind it. Think about it, the scratches don't line up to anything on the tint.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

There were two sheets of film being cut at once and they were cut multiple times, first roughly on the glass then the edges were cut after with a single sheet on the window shrank.

I did consider the rubbing, however wouldn't the glass be scratched from top to bottom if that were the case? The glass is perfect if I peel back the bottom seal from the outside which covers the lowest part of the window.

The scratches line up perfectly parallel to the edge of the window, thats why I suspected the knife cutting it.

Thank you for the input so far.

Guest 04yfz
and we normally dont razor blade the outside of the glass. we do razor blade the inside to clean it.

like others have said, normally you just dont notice the scratches until the tint is applied.

looks like scratches from rolling the window up and down.

i bet if you put your finger nail at the bottom of the glass where it starts and then roll the window down. the scratch will stay where your finger is

A razor blade was used to cut the tint, I'm not talking about using a razor blade to clean it.

The scratches also have varying depths, wouldnt something rubbing on the glass from rolling the window down cause a more constant pressure?

The scratches also have varying depths, wouldnt something rubbing on the glass from rolling the window down cause a more constant pressure?

A small rock that was stuck under your outside gasket caused the varying depths, not a razor blade.... :dunno

Archived