anyone ever tinted a vehicle for a car commercial?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys.

I will never forget that day. The phone rang and it was a gentleman asking how much I would charge to tint a '57 Cadillac Hearse. I quoted him $350 and he gave me the address of a garage in Long Island City, Queens New York.

When I got there, I saw the most unusual vehicle I had been asked to tint. Ghostbusters #1 had not even been filmed yet, but they did mention that the car would be used as a prop in a movie. When the trailers came out a few months later, I saw the car in a TV commercial. I remember the night I saw the movie. It was at theater on 86th Street in Bensonhurst (for you Brooklyn boys and gals).

I always had a camera with me and I took more than 20 pictures of it - I still have them.

-Howard

That's awesome, always wondered who did that work!

Guest Mo Evo

I did a Pontiac Sunfire for George Lucas' ILM....Industrial Light & Magic. The company did the commercial with the car driving along the Great Wall in China...actually, it was a street in San Rafael!! For non-commercials....Did 2 cars for a movie last year...identical Crown Vic's, one to look pretty, one with a full roll cage. Did them in a warehouse on Treasure Island in the middle of SF bay. Also did a limo at Skywalker Ranch.

Hyundai's filmers came to near Seattle to film, one car rode a closed carrier from So. Cal. w/a ramp riding the windshield. Destroyed front of car. Dudes called on way from airport.

Hyundai dealer sent a stock unit we smack 20% all windows on a heater timeline (6am start the next day).

Dude's paid AMEX no questions, no $ quote, straight paid (pulled their own film, tint their own cars).

Bonus for shced. jumper, got a story out of the day. Dudes even 'cut' 'em in half to fly though the interiors.

Thanks again guys...

:boogie

btw- Nice Howard...

I got started in this business tinting cars from the basement of my parent's home in Brooklyn, NY. That was a very, very long time ago. I was really never that good at it, but I did do this famous vehicle which was used in several movies. The film was applied in strips (top & bottom) on each window with a clear space in the middle. That curved rear quarter took me forever and I had to seam it.

-Howard

Not afraid of no ghosts.

ecto.jpg

Grammar (again).

:thumb

This past summer we did 2 - 2012 Toyota Camry's. It was pretty cool, the vehicles were always completely covered when not recording the commercial or in the garage. They used helicopters to get aerial shots. We did complete vehicles, windshields too in Sol Tek 5%, which they provided. They were aware the film is a glue free removal and said they would strip down immediately after shooting commercial. Film sucked to work imo. I hope to see that commercial one day.

Great job Howard, I hope they give you a signed pic for your shop. A few yrs . ago the ad agency for Honda had 4 civics dropped off and I did 20% all the way around. Gave me a check for the deal and took them (semi) up to Sedona to film. Same as everyone, they stripped the film off after the shoot.

Archived