film size?

Guest milly

Im thinking you will need a heat gun for a ford escapes BG. I tinted over top the factory tint on my rear windows to near black them out. Thatll be a start to heating those fingers. As for doing friends cars. Just watch yourself, some kids might end up being rear douchy. Expecting an appearance of factory spray tint. If they have a problem just tell them they can have their money back and youll rip it off. Itll cost you. Money and freinds. But gotta be assertive. But as long as you charge them accordingly, so they know their gonna get what they pay for, its all good.

I re-did a friends windows this weekend. Brand new truck. He asked me to do them, ok no prob. Turns out he tryed first, and there was tint folded all over the window. And he goes to roll it down. He had over an inch gap at the top. Granted they where thick seals so it looked even when he rolled it up..........kinda.

But as a final thought since it seems your planning on continuing tinting. Stick with trucks and suv's for a while, before you start cars, to avoid their BG. just offer 20% tint. Cause thats what most cops wont bother with too much and still dark. Get a squeege to clean the windows. Youll learn some of your own stuff. Oh and.....your greatest job is probably a pros worse.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im thinking you will need a heat gun for a ford escapes BG. I tinted over top the factory tint on my rear windows to near black them out. Thatll be a start to heating those fingers. As for doing friends cars. Just watch yourself, some kids might end up being rear douchy. Expecting an appearance of factory spray tint. If they have a problem just tell them they can have their money back and youll rip it off. Itll cost you. Money and freinds. But gotta be assertive. But as long as you charge them accordingly, so they know their gonna get what they pay for, its all good.

I re-did a friends windows this weekend. Brand new truck. He asked me to do them, ok no prob. Turns out he tryed first, and there was tint folded all over the window. And he goes to roll it down. He had over an inch gap at the top. Granted they where thick seals so it looked even when he rolled it up..........kinda.

But as a final thought since it seems your planning on continuing tinting. Stick with trucks and suv's for a while, before you start cars, to avoid their BG. just offer 20% tint. Cause thats what most cops wont bother with too much and still dark. Get a squeege to clean the windows. Youll learn some of your own stuff. Oh and.....your greatest job is probably a pros worse.

Great info here and I have a heat gun ready for action haha. I bought a heat gun, squeegees,hard card,stainless steel razors, spray bottle and the baby soap stuff.

As for friends, my friend with the jeep i posted pictures of at the top he let me tint his car. I told him I want to start tinting and he said I could try it on his lol. It turned out better than I expected... It's a tiny tiny gap at the top of the windshield and everything, only thing that I messed up on was on the cutting part.. I got better though the next day as I finished the rear of his jeep.. I should post pics of the inside, but yeah I was happy and he Said he didn't think it would turn out as good as it did. Overall, everyone was pleased! No bubbles, dirt, fingers, only thing was a couple small gaps on the sides of a few windows..

I told my friend with the escape that it won't be perfect as I'm new, and I actually went with my friend with the jeep and showed him the tint job. He said it looked fine to him. You cant even really see the mess ups on the outside.

Anyways, yeah I made sure I told them It wasn't going to be perfect.

I can't wait to tint his car though, he's getting 20%. He wanted 5 but he didn't realize it was illegal until I told him lol.

For what its worth I started tinting from reading this website. Now I'm a sales rep for a film manufacturer five years later, I've also seen tinters trained in a shop who have turned into $99 tint shop hacks.

Where you start doesn't matter, there is plenty of business out there. Its learning to do business the right way from the start.

For what its worth I started tinting from reading this website. Now I'm a sales rep for a film manufacturer five years later, I've also seen tinters trained in a shop who have turned into $99 tint shop hacks.

Where you start doesn't matter, there is plenty of business out there. Its learning to do business the right way from the start.

Yeah, I was reading where someone said if you charge little at the beginning you will attract the cheap customers... If you try to raise your price later on it'll be difficult because everyone knows you as the "cheap" tinter.

I'm just not sure what to do at first, I can't really charge the regular price if my work isn't near perfect >.>

I've got to have more cars to get better as well.

Ur best bet is to work with a pro for a while. Like someone said in this thread u will save money and time. Try stan fosters dvds set. His screen name is flat rock stan. Its better then goin into the business blind. Takes lots and lots of practice. Hang around tintdude though. Ive learned more off this site then anything. Good luck!!!

Yeah, I was reading where someone said if you charge little at the beginning you will attract the cheap customers... If you try to raise your price later on it'll be difficult because everyone knows you as the "cheap" tinter.

I'm just not sure what to do at first, I can't really charge the regular price if my work isn't near perfect >.>

I've got to have more cars to get better as well.

Stick to friends and family.

I tinted so many co workers cars over and over and burned a lot of film up. I couldn't imagine charging anyone for the work I was putting out for the first year.

I Pretty much started the same way the OP is trying, about 7 months into it now, fully legal, running a small side operation with satisfied customers and charging competitively. Like Larry said, at first you're probably not going to want to charge people lol. Practice practice practice, you'll get it. Gotta also understand where these veterans are coming from, from what I can tell there are a lot of people that think they can just start tinting and they ruin the industry. Good luck to you, hope to still see you around and successful this time next year! :lol

I Pretty much started the same way the OP is trying, about 7 months into it now, fully legal, running a small side operation with satisfied customers and charging competitively. Like Larry said, at first you're probably not going to want to charge people lol. Practice practice practice, you'll get it. Gotta also understand where these veterans are coming from, from what I can tell there are a lot of people that think they can just start tinting and they ruin the industry. Good luck to you, hope to still see you around and successful this time next year! :welcome

I understand there point of view now, makes since! Thanks for the kind words, hopefully I'll learn a lot this winter. I'll be sticking to this forum, and hopefully getting a lot of practice!

Good luck to you too! :dunno

Archived