tinter's are my biggest HEADACHE !!!

Guest abc40kids

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some shop owners don't have a clue on what it actually takes to get the job done. I'm not the best, but the average window tinter don't stand a chance next to me. I do flat glass, auto, wraps, PPF, and certified 12 volt master installer with tons of customer service, sales, and management experience. Most companies will not pay a good tinter what he is worth even after he has shown that he is. I have a minimum, if you cant meet it then it wont work. I wont work for a company who tint a car for $100, not worth my time unless you paying 50%.

I tint pretty good and also pay my installers commission. Have a great crew the last several years. I also made more money before I hired anyone. Management and installers have to have respect for each other for a shop to run a profit.

Owners have to remember to take care of installers and installers have to remember to take care of owners.

Everyone must remember

We are all working to glue plastic onto glass. We mess us we get another piece of film, no one dies :twocents

I've been self employed for 16 years, in that time I have tried to put on at least 16 tinters. They are all the best.. So they say... Until they spend most of their days redoing window after window because it is not of the highest standard. 1 of my tinters told me that when he starts up his business beside the ocean, he would offer me a job.. 3 months later he is changing tyres 6 days a week.

There's the paragraph Malcom :)

I had a very good tinter for about 18 months, always late, depressed, no motivation, hated tinting.. But, when he applied window film it was smick, and that is what mattered to me. And, he left to start his own venture elsewhere, but it failed quickly. Sometimes tinters that are just starting out could just do with a little support, but it is rare for that support to come from local opposition, so failure is common, and tinters will rarely stay put for long, as the temptation of a few extra dollars for working for yourself is always there, but often turns from an oasis into a sink hole.

Being up front from the word go has always been a winner for me. However, here I am... A 1 man band.

Here I am almost 30 yrs later a 1 man show. It's stories like yours that frankly, give me no hope of running the business without being part of the day in, day out tinting :lol

George Thorougood song comes to mind :

"I tint alone...Yeah with nobody else.. for when I tint alone..I prefere to be by myself. " :lol

TW, it seems your business has grown beyond your capacity as a 1man operation.

This is a good thing , a sign of a healthy business with a significant goodwill component.

It is simply put, well beyond time to employ, and as Tom says, duplicate yourself at a fraction of the cost.

Bosses, and especially tinters, tend to be control freaks , sure that no one can duplicate what we do. Once we get over this tendency we let people amaze us every day with their competence. Oh they will stuff up every day, but tinting is like that, it's only film and yes you could have got it first go yourself but what the hey.

I concentrate on the bottom line, tinter cost... About 3 to 4 k a month, they should allow you to comfortably bring in another 20 to 30 k a month or more. But more importantly you are not disappointing all those nice people that want you to tint for them but you previously just couldn't fit them in haha.

Sure, there are many downsides, especially while they are gaining experience, but suck it up and remember , they are making you money and freeing up your time and as Stan always says "It's only film, no one died"

Your job is to train, sell, motivate, maintain standards etc etc.

Maybe it's time for you to progress also, move out of the workshop a bit and work on your business not in it. It will be worth more when and if you sell if you have trained staff.

Any way , I'm definitely no business guru, I'm sure you will do what's best for you, you have always struck me as having a fair bit of common sense. Sorry for the long post.

All the best.

This has been a very funny thread. Especially after seeing the latest spate of ' tinters needed' adds.

Run my shop, sell the work AND install it. Pays 1/3 ? :wacko:

Someone has to pay the rent, utilities, insurance, misc. bills, do the marketing, advertising, buy the tint, clean the toilets, etc. etc. etc., Why would a tinter be worth 1/3 when he probably barely contributes 1/4?

Archived