tinter's are my biggest HEADACHE !!!

Guest abc40kids

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this type of attitude goes through out our industry and I too as a former business owner hated this as well. It is VERY hard to find a tinter that is a full package. They can tint very good, have a good attitude, show up on time everyday, and dont have a m*th or alcohol problem. They can talk to a customer and are presentable as well. It just rarely happens. Most of them think that this guy I work for cant make it without me kinda attitude and its aggervating to deal with. Just have to keep looking till you find a good one or train someone who has never tinted that has a good attitude that you think will fit the job. Good Luck!

You hit the nail on the head! I have a tinter who averages $1500/week  and I let him stay at the shop because he blows his money like theres no tomorrow and he still has a bad attitude and walks around like he owns the place..lol

You need to wake that boy up!!! when I was road racing and working for my then boss ( who I will be playing golf tomorrow with) he let me live in his shop which was partitioned off, let me store and work on my bikes there and I thought I was the most blessed person on earth (other than super rich kids ,ha ha ) . There's some days I think it was easier then. Good Luck with that!!! 

i cannot understand businesses that the owner cannot do what thier business does!. A tint shop is only as good as the tinter is. It doesnt make sense to have any bussiness ,but not know how to do it!

An artist should know how to paint, not hire other artists to paint for him!

Guest abc40kids

i cannot understand businesses that the owner cannot do what thier business does!. A tint shop is only as good as the tinter is. It doesnt make sense to have any bussiness ,but not know how to do it!

An artist should know how to paint, not hire other artists to paint for him!

My guess is you run a very small operation and that's fine. When I started out 25 years ago I installed everything I sold. My business has grown many times over in 25 years from just wheels and tires to a full blown aftermarket shop with suspension lifts, exhaust, 12 volt, hitches, wheels, tires, more than 15 dealer accounts.... The list is too long. I'm not 30 years old anymore and chose to hire 10 GOOD guys to install what we sell. Window tint is just one part of my business with 5 tinters at all times.

My original post was only to say that finding a good tinter is hard and it takes time. My newest tinters were trained on the job, young guys willing to learn. I've had at least two tinters that went off to do there own thing, one is still around and doing ok.

So, to answer the person I'm quoting, yes in your situation it's probably good that you can also tint, kind of wish I learned it when I was younger and had more time. So being one of Suntek's largest east coast jobbers with a very good reputation and we don't give anything away, we are the most expensive in our area I would have to disagree with you and say that I don't have to know how to tint or put a 6 inch lift on a truck to run a successful business.

Problem I see with the guys that have moved on from my business to do their own thing is even if they wanted to grow their business they don't know how and maybe they are just fine being that one man show that only gets paid when he's working.

World over it takes a very, very special type of personal to slap up film extremely well and then of that available, it then takes another master tinter to be able to survive whether it be his own show or working for someone else.

I haven't got the total answer but it goes like this....a tinter has to have be a person who is a perfectionist in everything throughout his life.

If he is not (and my 2 boys are definitely not) then forget about even getting them in the door.

Devil

Okay so I'm reading along and seeing some high numbers on what tinters are paid. I am still new (4 months experience) I also do plasti dip and vinyl wrap. (over a year of vinyl and plasti) I'm not the best tinter, but I can say that since I've started I've only redone 6 windows. I'm at work on time every day (usually early to get the shop ready for the day, clean floors, fill bottles, clean cutting boards, wet floors etc...) I am the only one tinting on any given day with usually 3 1/2 cars scheduled a day. My boss refuses to do anything aside from show up (if he feels like it) I basically do everything from ordering to saying good bye to happy customers. Now I have to ask is it wrong of me to get pissed at him for adding his friends cars to my list? I make 9$ an hour, and feel that I'm worth much more, is that wrong of me? Again I am not trying to be ignorant. This is a serious question.

Okay so I'm reading along and seeing some high numbers on what tinters are paid. I am still new (4 months experience) I also do plasti dip and vinyl wrap. (over a year of vinyl and plasti) I'm not the best tinter, but I can say that since I've started I've only redone 6 windows. I'm at work on time every day (usually early to get the shop ready for the day, clean floors, fill bottles, clean cutting boards, wet floors etc...) I am the only one tinting on any given day with usually 3 1/2 cars scheduled a day. My boss refuses to do anything aside from show up (if he feels like it) I basically do everything from ordering to saying good bye to happy customers. Now I have to ask is it wrong of me to get pissed at him for adding his friends cars to my list? I make 9$ an hour, and feel that I'm worth much more, is that wrong of me? Again I am not trying to be ignorant. This is a serious question.

Edit: the boss gave me a 2 day crash course. Most of what I know had come from you all here and YouTube. So I do want to put a massive thank-you to ask the posters here also.

Okay so I'm reading along and seeing some high numbers on what tinters are paid. I am still new (4 months experience) I also do plasti dip and vinyl wrap. (over a year of vinyl and plasti) I'm not the best tinter, but I can say that since I've started I've only redone 6 windows. I'm at work on time every day (usually early to get the shop ready for the day, clean floors, fill bottles, clean cutting boards, wet floors etc...) I am the only one tinting on any given day with usually 3 1/2 cars scheduled a day. My boss refuses to do anything aside from show up (if he feels like it) I basically do everything from ordering to saying good bye to happy customers.

I make 9$ an hour, and feel that I'm worth much more, is that wrong of me? Again I am not trying to be ignorant. This is a serious question.

If you are running the whole show and doing the tinting then you are definitely underpaid in my humble opinion.

Even if he was running the show and you were only tinting that is still low.

I'd try to negotiate something much more fair and if he wouldn't budge I'd walk. Chances are he'd call you back with a better offer, but you have to be willing to walk and be credible about it. 

In your position I've never earned less than 35% of the ticket. I know some shop owners might take issue with that number, but that's my experience.

Archived