what would be the best silver film

whether we give suggestions or not....aren't you going to use the 3M you're always defending? :nono

Blade, if I was going to use 3M P-18 I would have not posted this question.

Do I defend 3M, I would not say that I defend that film, it is just that in know a lot about 3M window films and if I see someone posting :lol , yea i will question there reply.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well....no offense but you seem to like to post questions for everyone here when you already know the answer. it's always like quiz time when you post a question.

well....no offense but you seem to like to post questions for everyone here when you already know the answer. it's always liked quiz time when you post a question.

This was not a quiz, I do not know everything :lol

If I post a question type of quiz, I will say so at the start of my post.

A few years back i would have used a film like R-20 CDF over P-18, when trying to reproduce the look of a mirror, IMOP there have been changes.

No offense taken...... :nono

P18? Do they really still make that? Did it even have a liner?

yep it is still made, P-18...Silver 18...P-18ARL.

At one time it did not have a liner, just a overcoat that was over the adhesive and it would dissolve when wet exposing the adhesive.

A long time ago there was a A20 silver that was made for plexi, that had a whit paper liner.

Yeah, I remember rinsing the snot off of the film before I hung it. The smallest of windows took two guys to install it. One to hold the film, another to rinse the snot.

Even after that we'd have to mop up tons of the stuff from the sills after squeegeeing.

Even then, there would always be one little patch of goo left.

The stuff was garbage in my humble opinion.

It looks like a monitor is going to be mounted below the desktop if I am reading that diagram correctly. You would probably want a setup where you have a 51%+ reflective film, high quality because it will be eyeballed all day... another thing you may want to consider doing is a layer of blackout behind the silver to cut out any light transmittance around the edges of the film. Just a thought, I once did a bunch of these and that techniques helped. A ps adhesive helps on the install too.

As for a good silver film? It looks like you've been in this business long enough to know who makes the good looking stuff and who does not. Call me or shoot me an email and I will be happy to chat with you about it. :lol

Yes there is a monitor mounted under the glass and the film will be cutout in that area, so the glass will be clear to see the monitor.

The reason I am asking what a good silver film for this application would be is, I figure that the glass would weigh around 100 lbs, If I use a PS adhesive film like P-18 I feel that the weight of the glass could distort the film over time, where the film rests on top of the desk, I have used LLumar R-20 CDF before in the past, however from what I have seen lately, I am no longer impressed with the clairity when dry veiwing from the CDF side of that film.

So I am wondering what other films that have a CDF adhesive around the same VLT that have excellent clarity when cured being viewed from the CDF side, that are available......?

Yeah, I remember rinsing the snot off of the film before I hung it. The smallest of windows took two guys to install it. One to hold the film, another to rinse the snot.

Even after that we'd have to mop up tons of the stuff from the sills after squeegeeing.

Even then, there would always be one little patch of goo left.

The stuff was garbage in my humble opinion.

Yea I remember a few times it was a very yellow snot like you say..... :lol

Back then the film looked like azz till it fully dried.

There a few films withtch have way less overcoat on them now, but they will no-longer come that way, just a select few films will have it, more in the line of safety and security films, the liner weeps or fingers easy on them, I look forward to that.

Archived