Window tinting reduces the risk skin cancer

Guest robrob75

Guest robrob75

I recently read a great article from The Skin Cancer Foundation says that window tinting can be good for our health. With 18+ years in the window tinting industry I have had a lot of first hand experience shading people from the suns harmful UV rays. I personally avoid the sun as much as I can. If you really think about it, the suns UV rays can burn a human body. I don't know about you, but that's pretty intense. I want to share a little of my knowledge of the window films and why i believe in them.

Where I live, in Spokane, WA it gets extremely hot in the Summer. I'm sure a lot of you are thinking "yeah right, not in the Pacific Northwest", but in eastern Washington it's like a desert. We get temperatures in the upper 90's. There here have many Summers that we have seen triple digit temps. Window tinting, is pretty much required if you drive a vehicle. Not only does the film protect you from harmful UV rays, the film can cut as much as 80% of the heat and glare passing thru your windows.

Another great thing about window tinting, is that it can greatly reduce your energy cost. Window tinting is a great inexpensive way to get your home or business on the "green" track while adding style and comfort. Give this a thought for a minute, having your home or office tinted with a film that not only blocks almost 100% of UV rays to protect you but it also saves your furniture from sun damage, it adds comfort too. Lets say hypothetically that you tinted every window in your home with Suntek's ULVDS35%, you would see a glare reduction of 50% to cut eye strain. While you could potentially block 60% of the heat transmitting the windows in your house. I don't know about you, but that's some serious savings, and you can be on your way to "going green".

For more information on window tinting visit our website spokanegraphicsandglass.com

Here are some things The Skin Cancer Foundation has to say about window tinting.

Along with clear health benefits, window film offers other advantages:

- In hot weather, it cuts down heat within the home, which can reduce air conditioning expenses.

- In cold weather, it reflects interior heat back into the house, reducing heating costs.

- It helps keep sunshine from fading car upholstery and home furnishings.

- Some new types of "safety" film help hold residential and commercial glass in place if shattered. Several times thicker than the standard sun-protective film, it can greatly reduce the chances of break-ins, property damage, and even personal injury that can result from broken glass.

- Visit skincancer.org/uv-film.html to read full article.

I couldn't agree more! That is why we sponsor the tour!

Solar Gard® Window Film Sponsors Skin Cancer Foundation Road to Healthy Skin Tour

Solar Gard® is again a proud sponsor of the Skin Cancer Foundation’s 2011 Road to Healthy Skin Tour for the third year.

In a specialized RV offering full-body skin cancer screenings by local dermatologists, the 80 city tour started on March 11, 2011 in Jacksonville, Florida and ends in September 2011 in New Orleans.

Facts About Skin Protection and Window Film

Solar Gard window films have an SPF of 285 or more, making them an ideal solution for protecting your skin. When applied to your car, home or office they block more than 99% of the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays.

Solar Gard solar window film is ideal if you want to protect your skin from the daily onslaught of sunlight. The ultraviolet radiation in sunlight has many negative effects on skin including:

* Causes 90% of all premature skin aging and wrinkles

* Destroys vitamin A in the skin, which contributes to cell damage

* Damages collagen, the structural protein that keeps skin cells firm, causing wrinkles and sagging

* UV is increasingly being linked to skin cancer

The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends Solar Gard window film to protect healthy skin.

Various efforts of organizations like the Skin Cancer Foundation and companies like BSF that sponsor such events have brought a lot of awareness to the many benefits of window films. That is a tremendous help to our industry and all of us. There is a large body of evidence that points to the damaging effects of UVB and UVA rays. The latter being especially concerning due to the wavelength's ability to penetrate deeper into the skin. Sunscreens window films even UV protective clothing are wise investments for your health.

Something that frustrates me though is how marketing efforts of the window film industry confuse window films ability to reduce UV transmittance with the Sun Protection Factor scale (SPF). Companies that we represent have been guilty of such confusion as well. SPF only factors in UVB exposure and not UVA. As we all know UVB is mostly blocked by glass so window film has virtually nothing to do with filtering out the only wavelength that is used in determining SPF. So how can we market films as being SPF 200+?

Don't get me wrong, window film helps immensely with UV rejection but I think we have to take care on how we craft the message. It's not much different from how we need to exercise care in marketing IR rejection. :spit

Archived