creases on roll ups

So I am getting little creases on side roll up windows. I think it is coming up when I lift to spray the window after I roll it up. They will pop up at any given place one today was right in the center of the window the other at the bottom left hand corner on driver side. It seems that I can push it out to were there is no air in them but then they look all distorted. Question 2 does that distortion go away or does it stay? Please help this is getting very irritating.

Guest MRRCGUY

For clarification,,, are you referring to little triangles that appear over in the side inside or behind the rubber edge? If so yes they most often come when you lift the film or when you pull it back to tuck the bottom corners. Its an easy fix. Take your heat gun and hit about 4-6 sq. in. around the "crease" and heat it for maybe 6-8 seconds. Most of the time you can then pushed the crease down with your hard card or lil chizzler. Sometimes you may need to wait a couple minutes after heating so the spot can dry out real well then card it.

For clarification,,, are you referring to little triangles that appear over in the side inside or behind the rubber edge? If so yes they most often come when you lift the film or when you pull it back to tuck the bottom corners. Its an easy fix. Take your heat gun and hit about 4-6 sq. in. around the "crease" and heat it for maybe 6-8 seconds. Most of the time you can then pushed the crease down with your hard card or lil chizzler. Sometimes you may need to wait a couple minutes after heating so the spot can dry out real well then card it.

Nope I know what you are talking about simple chisel out this will end up in like the middle of the glass about 1 inch long.

Sometime when you lift the edge up to tuck it in, if the film bends in different directions in one spot, and you pull it down, it can crease itself. This is why I try to at least get the gasket off so I don't have to deal with tucking.

So I am getting little creases on side roll up windows. I think it is coming up when I lift to spray the window after I roll it up. They will pop up at any given place one today was right in the center of the window the other at the bottom left hand corner on driver side. It seems that I can push it out to were there is no air in them but then they look all distorted. Question 2 does that distortion go away or does it stay? Please help this is getting very irritating.

when you peel the release sheet, if you do not peel it evenly you can get some small creases. or if it is not even, as you bring the film to the window. most films are 1 or 1.5 mil. but there can be a world of difference between them. one that are thicker are more apt to crease. thinner dont crease as easily but are harder to tuck into deep gaskets. my guess you are using a 1.5 mil window film with a thick addhessive. move slower with the film and make sure you pull the release sheet evenly before applying it to the doors

"thicker crease easier"?? what the? I have less issue with the thicker film, but I guess it would all depend on installer tech....I can't stand a thin 1 mil or even 1.2 mil window film...give me a 1.5 or don't ask me to tint...

"thicker crease easier"?? what the? I have less issue with the thicker film, but I guess it would all depend on installer tech....I can't stand a thin 1 mil or even 1.2 mil window film...give me a 1.5 or don't ask me to tint...

i like 1.5 mil films as well. easier to tuck into deep side gaskets like old impalas and grand prixs. i evaluate film on ocasion for reps. one recently felt more like 3 mil. shrank ok but glue smeared easy and if you move to quick with it you end up with small creases thru it. each film has difer3ent advantages or disadvantages. what works for one might not be the best film for another.

JH, sometimes if your film gets dry where it's in contact with the gasket/trim it will drag and so can crease.

Depending on how tight the gaskets are. I usually use tape or thin plastic strips(like mentioned in other threads: carpet mask/shield). This will especially happen on beamers, etc... at the mirror corner.

Unless you are a panel-puller, this is something you will have to figure out. Each car is a little different. Also, if the window glass has been replaced on a car which is usually not so tight, you can run into this same problem...

Hope this helps....

:jacked

Archived