Renaming tint..

Guest nickthetinter

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are absolutely right..its not like there are not major brand names of film we all know willing to set up any and all comers as "authorized dealers" without a second thought...even if they are just down the street from you, the guy who has been brand loyal for years.

Now whats the value in saying I have _______ brand film to your customer when everyone else does too? how do you charge MORE than the guy down the street when he has the exact same product banner hanging in front of his shop?

I've been down this road so many times, as have many of you out there, you have to do something to set yourself apart, branding my products is just one of the strategies I employ, and it works very well for me.

It does make it tough when a competitor nearby promotes the same film brand but whores the price.

I think the only thing you can do is get in bed with another quality US manufacturer that they don't have and reset your price to another level that way it can't be easily shopped in such a close competitive environment.

Devil

I am so glad that I came across this thread and to hear that so many others are of the same mindset. When I started my company, this was one of the first areas that I wanted to address. I wanted to build a brand that made my clients and the public recognize our company, not someone elses.

I spent a great deal of time researching Private Branding on the web. I wanted to make sure that I would not be doing anything that could potentially end up with legal issues.

Although I did this research, I am still unclear as to whether this is allowed in any capacity. There seems to be mixed opinions on the web. One saying that once you purchase a product, what you do win it is your choice as long as the product is not identifiable once unpackaged. Example, you could not repackage IPhone and put your own "Orange" logo on it.

The other opinion seems to be that purchasing a product, taking it out of the box and putting it in your own packaging for resale is deceptive and possibly illegal.

What I managed to find out was that a great deal of large brand manufacturers enter into Private Branding agreements with smaller companies. This has grown immensely in drugstore and food products.

One thing to mention here is the possible difference in quality of the private brand. I know for a fact that no name cola, regardless of whether it really is manufactured by Coke or Pepsi, certainly does not taste the same.

This seems to be a popular practice. Even in our window film industry I have found many sources for purchasing large factory "not so good" films.

So if these large brands enter into these "agreements", does that mean that we must enter into one with them to legally repackage and rebrand our films?

I have spoken to a rep from one of the leaders in our industry and was told that it may be possible to enter into a Private Branding deal. I was planning on pursuing that. But now that I read how many of you are already doing the same thing, I assuming without any "Agreement" with Llumar, Solar Gard or whichever manny, I may not worry about pursuing and just start doing.

Any feed back guys? Are we crossing any boundaries? Or is it as grey an area as it seems?

Very interesting topic going down here. If your in a strip mall retail tint market were every shop has the same brand banners flying around you better make a marketing decision to standout even if means new branding or products lines. My main rep asked me years ago if I minded if he set up a tintdude 5 blocks away with his film.I told him sell sell sell and make profits so you can be #1, I was happy he asked but I could care less..My mentality is todays 4G consumers are getting smarter. Market yourself as a brand name installer and set your shop to reflect your prices. As long as there are shop installs with these #'s $99/$495/$959. there is a film for every budget there is a shop for every consumer. Saturday a client told me the Galaxey 50 was the best looking film in my showroom after he reserached all the big name brands..I had to agree with him and he knew the Solar #s were not impressive .. He was well informed [tser/price] about the Poop,Ultra and CX films from his S line forum and had no problem paying top dollar for great looking installation with a great looking film....My point is he could have driven a few miles up the Interstate and got the Nano Poop film installed for less. :inot . In this economy the shop with the best salesmanship,great displays[good,better,best],reputation and is actually charging for its overhead will outlast the price choppers.

Archived