Expel Ultimate or wait for Nano?

Guest Roger555

Guest Roger555
Why because I ask questions? Why don't you grow up and stop being an ass, and maybe not comment on my threads anymore? Thank you

No, because you quantify our livelihood as a commodity to be consumed and don't respect the the hard work that goes behind that dollar figure. I am sure you have wasted this installers time with a billion goddamn questions, have probably jewed him down from his retail price, and he is probably putting you off so you finally go somewhere else. I might be wrong, but I'm just trying to read between the lines here.

Well you are wrong. Actually i've never taken any of my cars to have anything installed except for tires. I do everything I can myself mechanical, alarms, tint, small scale painting, etc. This ppf is something I would like to try also but I have too many projects going on and would rather not screw it up.

Also screw you with this quote, seriously who do you think you are? , "No, because you quantify our livelihood as a commodity to be consumed and don't respect the the hard work that goes behind that dollar figure"

I know god damn well how much time an effort goes into this type of work. I do mechanic work and some custom electrical work on the side plus I'm always out in the garage working on my own projects. I agree most people don't see or even care to know how much time and effort it takes to do quality work.

With that being said, you, as an installer do provide a service livelihood or not. With every trade there is competition, sure everyone hates the lowballer around the corner charging half the price but if his work is crappy he wont be there long, if its good you wont be there long. Also customer service goes a long way, most of the time even further then the product itself. I personally like to gather my knowledge elsewhere such as this forum just to avoid asking a bunch of questions at a shop. However an installer should be able to entertain any and all questions I might have as a customer.

I also went to the shop and the installer let me watch one of his installs, so I could see the quality of his work. He does amazing work mostly cars 4-7 times the price of my Acura TL, and I did not negotiate the price thats his going rate.

I'm just reading between the line here myself, but it sounds like you have some built up anger maybe you need a new liveihood?

But seriously I have nothing against you, and you obviously don't know me at all, so why do you find it necessary to talk %&$# or pass judgement on a forum?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Roger555

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I received my Ultimate samples yesterday and had a chance to compare it to the nano. The film was shipped flat 8.5" x 11 sheets in a large envelope (not rolled) so it had crease marks all over it.

Just for a quick test I cut a square of each and applied them to a sheet of lexan and marked them both with sharpie. Let it sit for about 10 minutes then proceeded to wipe with a non abrasive lint free wipe & isopropyl (91%). ( A bit higher concentrate then I normally would use but I didn't have any 70%.)

My results were not very pleasing. I found the finish on the Ultimate hazed and scratched very quickly even with these soft cloths (I used these cloths to clean chrome plated parts inside headlights without scratching). The finish was dull and rubbery afterward, maybe it cant handle the 91% & its possible this might buff out with a light polish. The nano film remain smooth and slick no scratching or hazing to the finish. You can still see the sharpie mark on both though however less with the nano.

Looks like i'll be holding out for the nano. Thoughts, comments? Is this a fair test ? I would expect paint thinner to do this maybe even mineral spirits but not Isopropyl.

Ultimate was from Expel Jeff & the nano was from Melissa back in April.

NANOVULTIMATE1.jpg

NANOVSULTIMATE2.jpg

CLEANER.jpg

DELIVERY.jpg

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I received my Ultimate samples yesterday and had a chance to compare it to the nano. The film was shipped flat 8.5" x 11 sheets in a large envelope (not rolled) so it had crease marks all over it.

Just for a quick test I cut a square of each and applied them to a sheet of lexan and marked them both with sharpie. Let it sit for about 10 minutes then proceeded to wipe with a non abrasive lint free wipe & isopropyl (91%). ( A bit higher concentrate then I normally would use but I didn't have any 70%.)

My results were not very pleasing. I found the finish on the Ultimate hazed and scratched very quickly even with these soft cloths (I used these cloths to clean chrome plated parts inside headlights without scratching). The finish was dull and rubbery afterward, maybe it cant handle the 91% & its possible this might buff out with a light polish. The nano film remain smooth and slick no scratching or hazing to the finish. You can still see the sharpie mark on both though however less with the nano.

Looks like i'll be holding out for the nano. Thoughts, comments? Is this a fair test ? I would expect paint thinner to do this maybe even mineral spirits but not Isopropyl.

Ultimate was from Expel Jeff & the nano was from Melissa back in April.

NANOVULTIMATE1.jpg

NANOVSULTIMATE2.jpg

CLEANER.jpg

DELIVERY.jpg

i like a real world test....try some hot axle grease from the interstate or a seagull crap.....try some Clearshield film and you will be impressed. It works well on EVERYDAY cars in the real world.Save the others for the 100k cars.

Off the wall question for those installing PPF.... Have any of you used the PPF LLumar has? Maybe it'd the same stuff as Xpel, Venture Shield? Just curious...

I've looked at offering it to my customers... Got trained, etc... But have not gotten into the PPF much, YET!!!

Off the wall question for those installing PPF.... Have any of you used the PPF LLumar has? Maybe it'd the same stuff as Xpel, Venture Shield? Just curious...

I've looked at offering it to my customers... Got trained, etc... But have not gotten into the PPF much, YET!!!

I have it on my car, not super impressed. It was fairly easy to work with but the color and texture wasn't there. I think the Nano sample spoiled me though and I have been comparing all of the subsequent films to the Nano. The 2 things that I didn't like were it was a bit yellow on my white car and after it was installed, the film was very rubbery feeling, almost tacky to it seemed to grab dust. I put some wax on it and that helped a bit.

Archived