Volvo Xc90 trouble

Guest GaTinter

Guest GaTinter

Okay so I was in a pretty bad wreck a few weeks ago and hurt my shoulder so I have not been able to Tint. I had a buddy call me wanting his front windows 2006 Tinted on his Volvo Xc90, so I figured what the heck its will be quick and easy. I opened a new box of Llumar ATC and off I went...four pieces later I can't seem to figure out the Drivers side window. I keep getting a finger at the top and two on the bottom...I try shrinking the film and it still did'nt come out right. I even pulled the panel and gasket thinking I was not doing something right. I have been tinting for 3 years and have never had this hard of a time on a side window. Could I have a bad roll of film? Because from what I have read the Volvo is simple and straight forward!

Okay so I was in a pretty bad wreck a few weeks ago and hurt my shoulder so I have not been able to Tint. I had a buddy call me wanting his front windows 2006 Tinted on his Volvo Xc90, so I figured what the heck its will be quick and easy. I opened a new box of Llumar ATC and off I went...four pieces later I can't seem to figure out the Drivers side window. I keep getting a finger at the top and two on the bottom...I try shrinking the film and it still did'nt come out right. I even pulled the panel and gasket thinking I was not doing something right. I have been tinting for 3 years and have never had this hard of a time on a side window. Could I have a bad roll of film? Because from what I have read the Volvo is simple and straight forward!

Should be a piece of cake, even I as flatt glass installer did my own XC 90???

Must be something with the rolle of film :cool

Guest GaTinter

I thought it should be easy...I mean if there are issues with a vehicle usually Tintdude already has a topic on it. I mixed the solution as I always do.....I even poured it out and tried more slip after the 3rd piece.

time, patience and extra $$$ is the key to smooth XC install...sounds to me like you were doing a buddy favor....a good tight heat form on the top and bottom [h pattern style] will work the majic on those POS windows.That door does have a shape of it's own.

Guest CZtint

its very easy car, front windows have some curve so you should shrink it at bottom and on top, if youre lazy just do bottom and do top when you put film on glass when you have only half of film tapped onto glass, as for gaskets they dont need to be removed (no gaskets on any car I ever done needed to be removed) just use conquerer to put film in. XC90 is really quick money, but like I said, windows are curvy so jus shrink it

Guest GaTinter
time, patience and extra $$$ is the key to smooth XC install...sounds to me like you were doing a buddy favor....a good tight heat form on the top and bottom [h pattern style] will work the majic on those POS windows.That door does have a shape of it's own.

Should I cut the pattern and go back and dry shrink it like a back window?

Guest GaTinter

0903111034a.jpg

0903111034.jpg

Okay I got my head out of my butt and figured out what I was doing wrong! I have a 40" roll of film and like a dummy I was just pulling out 20" of film cutting it and laying it on the side glass and when I was trying to shrink the film I was going against the grain and it would not shrink right! BIG DUH MOMENT...Needless to say it took only 30 minutes to complete the job....the 2nd time around.

Guest tint325i
0903111034a.jpg

0903111034.jpg

Okay I got my head out of my butt and figured out what I was doing wrong! I have a 40" roll of film and like a dummy I was just pulling out 20" of film cutting it and laying it on the side glass and when I was trying to shrink the film I was going against the grain and it would not shrink right! BIG DUH MOMENT...Needless to say it took only 30 minutes to complete the job....the 2nd time around.

congrats for coming on and admitting to that!!! i think i'd have kept that quiet if it was me :dunno

Archived