How would you splice?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two windows 62x80.... 60" film.

How would you do it??

I'm hoping the specs are wrong.... but they probably aren't.

Does the specified film only come in 60", or is that it's what you have and want to use?

I personally don't like the look of horizontal splices and usually do vertical splices at the center width of the glass. Sometimes if the window just misses being able to do without a seam like this one does I would put up a full piece and then a narrow strip to fill.

Whatever you do make sure whoever you are working for knows what you are planning on doing before you do it and is OK with that. Learned that the hard way once when I told the glass company how we would splice, but didn't tell the GC/owner in advance, and turned out to be nothing but trouble. Glass Co. should have gotten approval based on what I told them, but they didn't and it turned out to be a problem. Got only partial payment for a re-do on that one.

If it is cheaper for you to do one way than another you could tell your contact the price would be different depending on how you splice it.

Two windows 62x80.... 60" film.

How would you do it??

I'm hoping the specs are wrong.... but they probably aren't.

More info would help and a pic.

What type of specs... ? ....... Are the specs calling for a 2" splice and you have to order 60" film for this job....?

72inch film is not available. Windows are 62 wide. Film was chosen by GC.

They did not have anything spec ed in terms of the splice.

I emailed the GC about sizes since a site visit isn't going to happen...unless i get a bad feeling from the guy.. The job isn't close so id rather not make a trip... They sent me the plans which hopefully are accurate.

ETA: unless everyone here really thinks I should do a site visit.. .. round trip will end up being half of a day at least .

Archived