How would you splice?

Mac6000

:D I thought they retooled and finally came out with a 72" version of MAC?

I agree... avoid the splice at all costs :beer

I don't think it's available. ..at least not from my dist .

Out of the wbole project these two are over 60".... rest are under and won't be a problem .

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mac6000

:hmmm I thought they retooled and finally came out with a 72" version of MAC?

I agree... avoid the splice at all costs :eyebrows

I don't think it's available. ..at least not from my dist .

Out of the wbole project these two are over 60".... rest are under and won't be a problem .

Bummer... I've always been of the mind that a flat glass program is not a value without 72". Well, if you are good at splicing you can make that sucker practically disappear with 60vlt film. :lol2

Put an inch wide strip of vinyl on each side. :eyebrows

I wouldn't mind but I would have to do them all like that and it would add to much time.

Agreed about the72" being a nessessity .. boggles my mind that film companies don't.

Put an inch wide strip of vinyl on each side. :eyebrows

I wouldn't mind but I would have to do them all like that and it would add to much time.

Agreed about the72" being a nessessity .. boggles my mind that film companies don't.

Most don't have the right machine for 72" ceramic and they don't want to drop the $$$ for a new one.

1st, are these windows groud level or higher? If they are upper, put a horizontal seam to the top, grond level, put it at the bottom, will be less visible since it will be well below eye level. Verticle seams are highly noticeable. Also, I prefer to overlap, since it makes a stronger seam. Butt seams will more than likely seperate over time as the film ages. What area is this in? do you need to head north or south>

Ya don't have to go see, but a call to the end user is highly recommended.

There may be curtains on one or both sides, making it less critical.

Bottom line is speak to the person who has to be pleased with the job.

If I were that person, I would re-spec the job to avoid the splice.

He has to be aware before you make that trip. :hmmm

Most don't have the right machine for 72" ceramic and they don't want to drop the $$$ for a new one.

Poor excuse. ... valid, but poor.

1st, are these windows groud level or higher? If they are upper, put a horizontal seam to the top, grond level, put it at the bottom, will be less visible since it will be well below eye level. Verticle seams are highly noticeable. Also, I prefer to overlap, since it makes a stronger seam. Butt seams will more than likely seperate over time as the film ages. What area is this in? do you need to head north or south>

These two are ground level. .. if I do a horizontal seem at the bottom it would be about 3 feet off the ground.

And I'll be heading north.

It is going to look bad no matter what you do. Go for a different film of ask the GC where he wants the splice, and roll with whatever they say. I would let you borrow my film stretcher, but I loaned it out already and it has not returned :lol2

Archived