How would you splice?

So look at the US window film market. What is it $500 million? How much of that is 72" ceramic? How long will it take to pay off a 72" sputtering machine?

This is a valid excuse in the eyes of some MFG's, they just can't afford to do it. The numbers don't add up.

Alright... let me pose this question then. The film manufacturers who have a 72" machine - standard and/or ceramic.... how many of them make films for other companies?

I know every film company does not own their own machines.... so If everyone makes films for everyone else... either fully or in part, I don't see what the difference would be with someone doing it for ceramic films.

Unless I'm just totally offbase..

Plus 90% of the homes I tint have windows that are larger then 60"... and not all have grids that you can hide a seem.

It's just something that is lacking in this industry... IMO.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So look at the US window film market. What is it $500 million? How much of that is 72" ceramic? How long will it take to pay off a 72" sputtering machine?

This is a valid excuse in the eyes of some MFG's, they just can't afford to do it. The numbers don't add up.

Alright... let me pose this question then. The film manufacturers who have a 72" machine - standard and/or ceramic.... how many of them make films for other companies?

Just about all of them.

I know every film company does not own their own machines.... so If everyone makes films for everyone else... either fully or in part, I don't see what the difference would be with someone doing it for ceramic films.

Unless I'm just totally offbase..

There are many reasons... a few I can think of off hand are patents that prevent duplication and move companies into licensing agreements, then there are probably various business strategies that keep some companies from supplying others.

Plus 90% of the homes I tint have windows that are larger then 60"... and not all have grids that you can hide a seem.

It's just something that is lacking in this industry... IMO.

You are right, 72" has its advantages for us all. :beer

Well, if you are good at splicing you can make that sucker practically disappear with 60vlt film. :beer

:nope

:lol You seemed to miss my splice on my C-40 pic and that was a big one.

:lol I feel like I'm getting hazed here, no worries though I'll push back. First, I said "avoid splicing at all costs" then Roach said he had no option, the customer doesn't seem to care about. Under that circumstance and against all professional preference you can splice MAC 60 and out of all of the MAC line a well-done splice on 60% vlt film will probably never be noticed by most people who are not window tinters.

The irony is that there is 72" ceramic 60 but due to the intricacies of business he can't get his hands on it so thus the need for a splice. A sad reality...

there is a 72'' mac 3000 but it does not match the 60'' mac 3000 from my understanding. Have fun installing that film too!

:beer good to know

No I did not miss your splice on the upper windows you did in the pic you posted, I could see that a mile away.... :cool .... :spit ..... :spit

Plus you had said you seamed the upper windows... :lol

BTW, the machine used to make one of the main components in the Mac 6000 and it was used when it was purchased to manufachure that film.

MAC and several other film lines

Well, if you are good at splicing you can make that sucker practically disappear with 60vlt film. :beer

:spit

:lol I feel like I'm getting hazed here, no worries though I'll push back. First, I said "avoid splicing at all costs" then Roach said he had no option, the customer doesn't seem to care about. Under that circumstance and against all professional preference you can splice MAC 60 and out of all of the MAC line a well-done splice on 60% vlt film will probably never be noticed by most people who are not window tinters.

The irony is that there is 72" ceramic 60 but due to the intricacies of business he can't get his hands on it so thus the need for a splice. A sad reality...

there is a 72'' mac 3000 but it does not match the 60'' mac 3000 from my understanding. Have fun installing that film too!

:nope good to know

No I did not miss your splice on the upper windows you did in the pic you posted, I could see that a mile away.... :cool .... :lol ..... :beer

BTW, the machine used to make one of the main components in the Mac 6000 and it was used when it was purchased to manufachure that film.

In only 60" ......... :spit

No I did not miss your splice on the upper windows you did in the pic you posted, I could see that a mile away.... :cool .... :lol ..... :beer

The 72" is a brother from a different mother.

The 72" is a brother from a different mother.

:lol

There are many reasons... a few I can think of off hand are patents that prevent duplication and move companies into licensing agreements, then there are probably various business strategies that keep some companies from supplying others.

You are right, 72" has its advantages for us all. :beer

It can't be any different then any other lines of films that each have agreements with others for.... If they can do it for one film, they can do it for another.

I don't care if it's going to cost $$$ for agreements.... look at IP. Tech companies battle it out every day over patents and lic. agreements. Personally I think many are patent trolls.... but with film, there is a tangible product that would be part of the deal and not just some idea that never sees the light of day.

I think the real issue is that there is such a low cost to enter the industry.... hacks won't buy film that costs 2-3 times what a standard film would be.... hence low volume sold... low returns.

But there has to be an answer...

Personally I think many are patent trolls .... but with film, there is a tangible product that would be part of the deal and not just some idea that never sees the light of day.........

Agreed......Googles purchase of Motorola/Android was ALL about the patents, and control of them..... all 7500 of them.... :beer

Archived