black 20 year old gooey window caulking

I've come across something similar before and trying to cut it away and remove can turn into more of a chore and a mess. Depending on the situation I have just wet it down and take a hard card or scraper and "plow" it into a good constant bead, just like bumping the edges. Then if you need to cut a decent size gap because of the inconsistency, you can smooth or "smoosh" that bead and have it cover the light gap. Almost like attachment glaze on safety installs. Sometimes that stuff is there for a reason, it may be all thats holding in the glass. Either way, just like everyone already said keeping it wet is the key. Good luck.

Guest VOLTRON

I did a job similar to what you are talking about around 7 months ago and I told the owner of the building that I would be removing the caulk to the metal frame and that he would need to reapply the caulk or I could do it at dollar amount. This being said before hand will also allow you some leway for some light gaps so you dont get that goo under the film or just explain to them that there might be some goo in a few spots under the film if you want me to get all the way to the edge of the frame. Most people would be understanding of this type of install. Leaving yourself some gap room and then caulking afterwards is a good option.

like fox said keep wet, I would also recommend to use a 4inch power scraper, it has a 4 inch blade and the blade is stronger so it wont break or chip as easy as a triumph scraper. Take the blade of the scraper and run it along the edge of the frame and it will removed the silicone and give you a clean edge along the frame of the window.

+1

Archived