side windows, creasing corners when window goes up

Guest james#70

Guest james#70

Ok so sometimes i can do it no problem, and sometimes its tiny crease so can just spot heat it and lil chisler it out as its behind gasket anyway and once heated out not visible. But to save me messing up on attempt number 1 can anyone help me out?

Basically on installition, i set the top, and il be in the same position as this guy at about 3.50 into his vid

So top is set, about to roll window up, rol window up and where the film is in either corner, when window is rolled up it creases on the fold/gasket - especially get this problem on 'shifting side windows' that tilt as they do up

any tips guys?

thanks

Guest james#70

Yer i did and still creased it 1st attempt yesterday. No idea what i did on 2nd but it didnt crease, obviously the film to the bottom isnot behind gasket so is stuck out proud, when window jumps up it folds on the gasket, need another hand lol, 1 to work window up, 1 to stop side of widow film folding and 1 for the other

Too many online videos of guys showing how fast and easy it is to tint a side window. But in that 5 min video it didnt show him heat shrinking that window. which he did, by the appearance of the bottom edge of film.

At least he was concerned with the "crease area" as much as you are. By his point of holding with the finger. Ive seen some videos where they run it flush with the gasket and dont care to tuck it under. Therefore leaving a massive gap of light, but in a video you dont see that. But for certain a customer will.

Before I roll the window up I like to give it a quick pass on the inside (and or the outside if I know it's going to be tight) with a heat gun as I dry the edge with a wrapped/angled hard card.

Push out gently and roll up. If it's a really tight window, I'll add a little Vaseline on the rubber.

WOW!!! I guess it's an OK video for the "do it yourself" guy.... I would hate to see the contamination on that car! That would fail my standards(and most of you guys on here).

Didn't clean the window with a razor (or window cleaner). I like how he sprayed the film, after releasing the liner, on the side of the car. Also, draging the bottom after pulling the rest of the liner off. Classic!!! Not trying to be a critic, just observations for those trying to learn from that video.

There are better vids. to learn from!!!

:blink:

I've had a really hard time with the upper corners filling up with contamination from this.... I did a VW toureg the other day, and there's like 3 inches in the upper rear corner of the front glass you can see! Can't even get a tool of any kind of there. I knocked it down as hard as I good, cooked the glass with a torch, and it still peeled.... I don't think I cooked it enough in that corner, fearing the edge bubbling.

Archived